User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andy585
(newbie) Mon 11-Feb-13 13:34:44
Print Post

no sky fttc available at ardrossan exchange

[link to this post]

hi folks been surfing the web looking for some answers to my questions and this seems a very good site for information

here goes
my exchange WSARD ARDROSSAN was fttc enabled as off 30th Oct 2012
my local cabinet went live 3 weeks ago
i have done the bt infinity checker and wholesale checker and can get fttc
speeds of around 60meg
so i phoned up sky who is my isp and was told its not available just now
i have read up about llu enabled exchanges which mines is and also about a GEA link which needs to be done i asked sky for a timeframe of when this could be done and was told they did not know
is there anyway i could find this information out ???
thats over 3 months now and still nothing from sky what a joke
they must be losing customers big time

any info or help greatly apreciated
Standard User Nighty1973
(member) Mon 11-Feb-13 14:22:34
Print Post

Re: no sky fttc available at ardrossan exchange

[re: andy585] [link to this post]

I'm afraid to say you will not even get a ballpark date out of Sky for when Sky Fibre will be available at a particular exchange as they deem it "commercially sensitive information". I know as I've had this with my own exchange.

Quite why it is so sensitive when just about every other provider can already give you the service you want is beyond me. I can understand it on non-FTTC enabled exchanges, but where BT Infinity is already available, surely it is in their interests to tell their customers when it will be available rather than have them leave to other providers.
Standard User andy585
(newbie) Tue 12-Feb-13 08:55:49
Print Post

[re: Nighty1973] [link to this post]

i know its joke i have waited over 3 months to wait for the exchange to be upgraded

i moved house recently and knew fttc was available in the area only to be let down by sky

is there anyway to get out of a contract over the non deployment of sky fibre when other isps are offering a better and faster service ???

i started a new contract mid dec

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Feb-13 10:01:28
Print Post

they lost my custom due to that nonsense policy, it turned out they enabled about a week or 2 later but I wasnt going to take the chance as it could have been potentially months with then my cabinet getting full.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Feb-13 13:12:06
Print Post

I would guess you don't have grounds to get out of the contract as you did not contract based on future options but on your current service. It's a bit like taking out a lease on a BMW and then wanting to break it because they bring out a new and better model.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Feb-13 18:31:57
Print Post

No business case for Sky to spend the money on the link and capacity, or awaiting delivery of the capacity.

May never be done.
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Mon 18-Feb-13 10:43:29
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
No business case for Sky to spend the money on the link and capacity, or awaiting delivery of the capacity.

May never be done.

Sky have unbundled the majority of exchanges in the whole Uk, of course they will order gea links for all fttc exchanges eventually.

My Broadband Speed Test
60db Attenuation
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Feb-13 23:52:24
Print Post

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dave2150:
In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

May never be done.

Sky have unbundled the majority of exchanges in the whole Uk, of course they will order gea links for all fttc exchanges eventually.

They've unbundled less than half of them, they do them when they think they'll make a profit on the deal. GEA will be much the same way. Where there are few LLU customers the case to invest in GEA is trickier.

Will probably happen eventually but not a done deal.
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Feb-13 11:07:17
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

The annoying thing is that Sky didn't bother unbundling here after Metro cable pulled out of the area and Sky had to bring in subbies to cope with the work, especially as up unil last year there wasn't any adsl2 here at all - they could have made a killing here as the only ISP here offering over 8 megs.

Strangely the only exchange in the county that they have done is a small 3k line one in an area which has many holiday homes. Sky LLU isnt as widespread as they would have you believe and quite honestly with my 10k line exchange being left out for so long I'm not sure I would consider them at all.

I cant fathom how they work this stuff out, especially in a area with reception issues where Satellite can often be the only way to get a decent range of channels - so many sky dishes... so little ADSL speed!

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI Surfwise LLU - Finally free of the BTw crawl, but not of BT's speculative invoicing (AKA SFI charges)
SWPM a BT Group investment "Not Spot"

My Broadband Ping
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Feb-13 20:22:04
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by warweezil:
Strangely the only exchange in the county that they have done is a small 3k line one in an area which has many holiday homes. Sky LLU isnt as widespread as they would have you believe and quite honestly with my 10k line exchange being left out for so long I'm not sure I would consider them at all.

There could be some high cost in getting backhaul connections into your exchange for some reason.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to