User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Chewshabadoo
(newbie) Thu 14-Feb-13 11:47:51
Print Post

Sky ADSL + Phoneline: BT compatible?

[link to this post]

Iíve recently moved into a property which has Sky Talk & Broadband but I have 6 months left on a contract at an old house with BE who require a BT line.

I had assumed Sky used a BT compatible connection for their phone line with ADSL, and the socket even says BT Openreach on it.

However, the sales person on the phone at Be say this line is not compatible with their service and I need to pay a connection fee.

The confusing thing for me is, if I go to SamKnows and enter my phone number it tells me "Please re-enter a valid phone number / postcode" and even if I go to the Sky site I get "Your current phone line is not compatible with Sky Broadband and Talk. "

Does anyone know if this is normal for Sky lines?
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Feb-13 12:08:13
Print Post

Re: Sky ADSL + Phoneline: BT compatible?

[re: Chewshabadoo] [link to this post]

At the very least, BT support line rental transfers from MPF lines (e.g. Sky). If you start a line rental order at BT with the existing phone number, how far can you get?

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Feb-13 13:57:31
Print Post

Re: Sky ADSL + Phoneline: BT compatible?

[re: Chewshabadoo] [link to this post]

Sky unbundles the broadband and phone service to its own hardware, so the line is still Openreach copper, but the number will not show up as a BT based number on the checkers, because it is not a BT based number.

If you have moved in, then the fact that the old bill payer has moved out should trigger a cease, and you will need to order a new line (which would then be provided usually over the existing openreach copper). It is not a migration at all.

Be is a shared LLU service, so requires you to be paying voice line rental to someone who provides a voice line rental product, e.g. BT Retail, PostOffice, Primus and a raft of others.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to