User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Mar-13 12:13:55
Print Post

Sky Yahoo mail live

[link to this post]

Yahoo is now accepting Sky logins to its servers. IMAP/POP3/SMTP servers are all working, but I don't think sky.com email will arrive on Yahoo's servers until next month, it will still be sent to Google until then.

Sky Yahoo webmail: http://s12.postimage.org/oesfa6f71/sky_yahoo.png

Funny that Sky Yahoo webmail in that screen capture, which now carries advertising, has an advert for BT Broadband, I suppose the choice of advertisers is controlled by Yahoo.

Oliver.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 09-Mar-13 12:40:12
Print Post

Re: Sky Yahoo mail live

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

They don't call it BTYahoo for nothing...

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Mar-13 12:52:09
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
They don't call it BTYahoo for nothing...

Good point, maybe Sky adverts will be appearing on BT Yahoo now, in the same way that BT adverts are appearing on Sky Yahoo.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mike_Williams
(committed) Mon 08-Apr-13 08:46:37
Print Post

Can someone confirm if the new Sky Yahoo email supports IMAP

Regards
Mike Williams

Info :-
Line: Length 250 metres
Modem router: Buffalo wbmr-hp-g300h + LinkSys wg54g both running dd-wrt firmware
IP Profile = Down 19418 kbps Up 1019 kbps

2012: EE WBC 20Mbps Down: 22010 kbps Up: 1019 kbps
2003: Demon ADSLMax 8Mbps Down: 8128 kbps Up: 448 kbps
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Apr-13 11:14:33
Print Post

[re: Mike_Williams] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mike_Williams:
Can someone confirm if the new Sky Yahoo email supports IMAP

Yes it does. And contrary to Sky's advice, IMAP works on all devices, not just Windows 8 Mail and mobile clients.

Server settings ("Other email clients" tab): http://help.sky.com/email/sky-yahoo-mail-switchover/...

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Mon 08-Apr-13 11:15:52)

Standard User H10ELD
(newbie) Mon 08-Apr-13 11:42:33
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Sky are having major problems migrating over to Yahoo,
Spoke to their complaints dept. this morning as I was without any email for 56 hours last week,
(Thursday until Sat).
Since then I have had more Junk and Span come through in the past 3 days that I had in the past 3 months when it was Google.
Although my preferences are set to opt out, the rubbish is still coming through, and SKY say they are aware of it and trying to resolve the non working preferences.
Apparently if your server is IMAP all your historic emails and junk could be sent to you and they are unable to stop it.
To quote Customer Complaints " the change over has been a nightmare and a disaster and they do not know when it will be fully operational and working as well as Google mail"
Someone should have told the people at the top "If it is not broken don't fix it"
Standard User speedyrite
(regular) Mon 08-Apr-13 13:32:09
Print Post

[re: H10ELD] [link to this post]

What a fiasco! Heaven knows what might have happened had there not been "many months of planning and extensive testing"...
(committed) Mon 08-Apr-13 14:25:20
Print Post

Thanks for the link to the IMAP settings. I suspected that there would be a lot of fuss as POP is not supported by the standard Windows 8 mail client.

Tried to set it up for someone on o2 W8 mail client allowed me to enter the settings, and just went blank screen no error messages etc. So gave up and downloaded Windows Live Essentials which still supports POP.

Regards
Mike Williams

Modem router: Buffalo wbmr-hp-g300h + LinkSys wg54g both running dd-wrt firmware

(committed) Mon 08-Apr-13 14:31:49
Print Post

I can see why they might opt to prefer POP as the client can be set to remove the email as soon as it's read saving on server disk space.

When they have copied the emails from google to yahoo, have they copied the status of the read flag correctly or are all emails now flagged as unread.

Regards
Mike Williams

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 15-Apr-13 08:07:16
Print Post

I have always reccomended not using broadband isp based email services, but the fact isp's such as sky now only piggyback on 3rd party services that are actually normally free makes it even worse.

Just buy a domain and have a permanant email address on that or if you consider that too expensive sign up for a free gmail account and then you dont have worries about sky shifting platforms again (to me thats stupid) and as well if you change isp in future no worries on losing email address.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to