User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mike_Williams
(committed) Tue 19-Mar-13 08:33:44
Print Post

End User in Tears

[link to this post]

Just spent two hours with a distraught customer who moved from BT to SKY.

She was told by the untrained idiot that she could keep her BT Internet email address.

Needles to say the old email account is now dead.

She was in tears as she has now lost several years of valuable emails.

When will the ISPs learn that they can't tell people they can keep there email address.

Regards
Mike Williams

Info :-
Line: Length 250 metres
Modem router: Buffalo wbmr-hp-g300h + LinkSys wg54g both running dd-wrt firmware
IP Profile = Down 19418 kbps Up 1019 kbps

2012: EE WBC 20Mbps Down: 22010 kbps Up: 1019 kbps
2003: Demon ADSLMax 8Mbps Down: 8128 kbps Up: 448 kbps
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Mar-13 09:49:40
Print Post

Re: End User in Tears

[re: Mike_Williams] [link to this post]

BT email is BT Yahoo mail I believe and as such there is the Premium service for people who used to have BT Broadband

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc...

£1.54 per month, so if they have ONLY just lost access it may be that they can signup and get to the account again. No idea if they delete account immediately or wait a few days.

Another search reveals
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13140...

"When you stop your BT Broadband service your email account is downgraded to a Pay-as-you-go or Basic email service. You'll be able to access your email account for up to 90 days from the date your BT Broadband service stops.

You won't be charged for the email account, but to continue to use it after 90 days you'll need to upgrade it to a Premium Mail account."

So unless the 90 days has passed I think they may be able to stop crying.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Tue 19-Mar-13 09:57:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Agreed there is a paid for service.
We both know this, but the poor end user has no knowledge of this.

As she has changed to save money I doubt that she would have changed IF she was told about this charge by BT to retain her email address when she requested the MAC code. Allowing her time to "cool off" and decide if she wished to cancel the change over.

So BT are also at fault here...

Regards
Mike Williams

Modem router: Buffalo wbmr-hp-g300h + LinkSys wg54g both running dd-wrt firmware

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Tue 19-Mar-13 09:59:37
Print Post

Sorry forgot to say in last post.
I tried emailing her "old" BT internet account and the email bouced saying something like "no such user" so I fear it may be to late already.

Regards
Mike Williams

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Mar-13 11:12:02
Print Post

The old email account is meant to be work for 90 days, so have we gone past that window?

Trouble being if extra cooling off is added to the process we will make even simple migrations take a month or more.

The best lesson is if you use web based email, never keep anything in it that you cannot afford to lose, keep a copy of important emails locally on the computer. Also always double check 'yeah it will be alright' type claims against the experience of others'

If she is within the 90 days of leaving BT, then I would recommend she chases them ASAP as while the account may be locked out, it may not have been deleted.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Tue 19-Mar-13 12:17:22
Print Post

Yes still within 90 days.
Tried password recovery last night, but no joy.

Not suggesting extra cooling off period, just that the two sides give the end user ACCURATE information so that they can ask someone what the implications are.

I use Mail Store Home to archive my web based emails and it works very well.

Approx 50% of my customers don't even know that they are using web mail, they just go to a link on their desktop and read their emails... If this user had asked my advice before switching I would have definately told her that she would loose the BT email address (after 90 days). This is the first time I have seen it acting immediately with BT.

Never ASSUME (that the ISPs are telling the whole truth) it makes an ASS of U and ME smile
In my experience they will say whatever they need to in order to get the SALE.

Regards
Mike Williams

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Mar-13 15:06:18
Print Post

Technically they CAN keep their email account. In this case things have not gone to plan. Get the customer to call BT and get things sorted if still within 90 days.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Mar-13 17:51:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mike_Williams:
When will the ISPs learn that they can't tell people they can keep there email address.

Users shouldn't trust the new ISP (I assume Sky in this case) to tell you anything accurate about the old ISP.

Some ISPs give you email for life even when you stop paying them, this includes Sky. Other ISPs give you no email at all (e.g. BE).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 19-Mar-13 19:25:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mike_Williams:
Just spent two hours with a distraught customer who moved from BT to SKY.

She was told by the untrained idiot that she could keep her BT Internet email address.
I'm confused about a couple of things here - what do you mean "your customer?", what do you provide?

Was it Sky or BT who told her she could keep her BT email? Because she can, you know?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 19-Mar-13 19:35:59
Print Post

And why had she not downloaded all of the emails into a suitable mail client on her PC?

I hear, too often, that people have lost their webmail account and have not bothered to have their own copy of emails. Webmail should NEVER be regarded as a service that will always be available and uses or their advisers need to ensure suitable processes are in place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to