User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Thu 21-Mar-13 16:42:01
Print Post

Sky Router

[link to this post]

Just moving from BT service of infinity 2 fibre to Sky Pro fibre, and have a question on the small white router hub sky supplied (not connected yet as I get switched from BT to Sky next Tuesday), is the new Sky wifi router N enabled or just b/g?

I bought USB wifi connectors for my two sons PC's, which are upstairs on wireless connections, which at the moment connect to the BT home hub 3, (dreadfull wireless signal 80% of the time), so just checking which type of connection the new Sky router provides?

Thanks in advance.

Dave.
SkyFibre Pro
Standard User vf12vf
(regular) Thu 21-Mar-13 16:54:39
Print Post

Re: Sky Router

[re: zrerz] [link to this post]

don't think the sky router is N enabled but the question you should be asking is...
is my exchange going to suffering from the crippling congestion issues....

good luck with your Sky connection, I have a feeling you might need some!
Standard User speedyrite
(regular) Thu 21-Mar-13 17:10:11
Print Post

Sky Hub SR101 is wireless N - some spec info (and other articles about that router) here:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/content/165-specifica...

I think the Sagemcom 2504n (Fibre) is also wireless N too - but I don't think they are issuing those any more.

In my opinion, they are adequate for the job but neither of them are what you might call leading edge devices.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zrerz
(committed) Thu 21-Mar-13 17:18:31
Print Post

[re: vf12vf] [link to this post]

I'm on a Chester exchange currently with BT, and as far as I'm told, will be keeping the current Fibre connection BT provide, and switched to Sky via the exchange, so no congestion issues to look forward to.
Reasons I'm leaving BT are many, I was on the BT vision pack, when they replaced my old BT vision box with a new youview box, worked for a week or so, then every time you turn it on, either wont activate, or come up with a bright pink screen, asking BT's help desk was a joke, the guys there are on a strict script, asking me to press the blue youview button to start re-tuning the box, I said I'd love to, but no menue just a bright pink screen ( I tried other HDMI cables both to/from the youview box,and plugged PS3 & xbox 360 into the HDMI socket used by the youview box, all of them worked perfectly, bar the BT vision box, still giving out a bright pink image.

My broadband was flaky, due to the quality of the supplied home hub 3 (am on my 7th) and my next door niebour has all things in sky's name, and no problems for him on anything, so I'm following him, besides, the wealth of programmes Sky offer in HD is wonderfull, so much better than the freeview based BT vision.

I've got the BT wholesale infinity white box, which the new sky router will connect to, and the 2TB sky HD box working now, a fantastic service from Sky.

zrerz.
SkyFibre Pro
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Thu 21-Mar-13 17:19:38
Print Post

[re: speedyrite] [link to this post]

any thing you could recommend as a replacement?

zrerz.
SkyFibre Pro
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Mar-13 17:39:07
Print Post

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/77-sk...

The wireless might limit speeds the SR101 has reasonable coverage

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User speedyrite
(regular) Thu 21-Mar-13 17:59:33
Print Post

There's quite a lot of info on skyuser about using 3rd party routers on Sky fibre. I recommend you look on there and do some research. It needs to be a router that supports DHCP Option 61. I think Billion has a model for which firmware is available that will work on Sky fibre (there may also be one or two other specific makes/models).
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Mar-13 19:04:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by vf12vf:
don't think the sky router is N enabled but the question you should be asking is...

They've been N enabled for quite a long time now! The previous slimline silver box was N enabled as well.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds ~46 / ~8.5 Mbps - Sync 48.9 / 10 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> Draytek 2820 -> Airport Extreme -> Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User _Resonance_
(regular) Fri 22-Mar-13 14:55:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by vf12vf:
is my exchange going to suffering from the crippling congestion issues....

good luck with your Sky connection, I have a feeling you might need some!

No congestion problems here. As far as I know the problems are limited to a small number of exchanges. You could bet this forum would be a lot busier if there were widespread problems.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Mar-13 15:22:45
Print Post

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by _Resonance_:
No congestion problems here. As far as I know the problems are limited to a small number of exchanges. You could bet this forum would be a lot busier if there were widespread problems.

This forum is likely to be the busy one: http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Speed/bd-p/sky...

In fact, it is.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to