User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Tue 26-Mar-13 21:50:34
Print Post

Trying to help colleague: manual for Sky router

[link to this post]

Tried looking on the Sky site but can't find anything as Sky seem to give out very little info about the router's firmware.

My colleague joined Sky Boradband last year and has one of their silver routers that looks like a mini version of one of their decoders.

What he wants to do is to link a small D-Link NAS enclosure to his broadband and associate a domain name with he IP of his connection so he can access the NAS device from work or elsewhere.

I can of course help him sort out the domain and sort the A record and such but what I am looking for is instructions for putting the device in the DMZ so he can access it.

Can anyone also confirm whether the IP on a Sky connection is indeed static?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Mar-13 22:03:24
Print Post

Re: Trying to help colleague: manual for Sky router

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Sky uses dynamic IP addressing for the Internet address

The router supports various DynDNS services though

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Tue 26-Mar-13 22:05:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Cheers for the info.

That'll make things fun

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User simon194
(committed) Thu 28-Mar-13 13:18:04
Print Post

The only caveat using DynDNS with the Sky router is that it only sends updates when the router boots up or resyncs. If you use the free DynDNS option you will need to manually update the IP address every 28 days or so assuming the IP address hasn't changed in that time.

It's more of an issue with Sky's fibre offerings because they use "sticky" IP addresses that don't change that often.
Standard User speedyrite
(regular) Thu 28-Mar-13 17:59:13
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

It's not too much of a problem if that happens though because Dyn send an e-mail reminder to update it - "one click & you're done" (more or lees!)
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Thu 28-Mar-13 18:07:28
Print Post

[re: speedyrite] [link to this post]

Or you can get their free software that checks your ip address against their database and refreshes as required.

http://www.holidayalmeria.co.uk - Holiday apartment website
http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Standard User speedyrite
(regular) Thu 28-Mar-13 18:35:15
Print Post

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

Nice. Didn't know about that!
Standard User simon194
(committed) Mon 01-Apr-13 10:18:13
Print Post

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

I had forgotten about the software option.
Standard User majika2007
(newbie) Mon 01-Apr-13 10:41:44
Print Post

A couple of other great free DNS service can be located at www.dnsexit.com or freedns.afraid.org.

The last time I checked, they both offer various degrees of options for your needs but both allow the use of "Ip Updater" clients to auto-update to reflect any Sky IP changes.

Affraid.org also allows the use of wget in a simple batch script to be run to ping their servers, this is just another option of grabbing your current IP address that way.

Both methods return the results you need require.

Furthermore, DNSExit allows you to alter your own DNS records (A, AAAA, MX, NS, etc..)
Affraid offers you a bucket-load of various "catchy" sounding sub-domain names to choose from if you decide to got down that route, literally thousands of them!.

HTH

FreeServe @ 56Kbs -> BT Business (ADSL) @ 512kbps -> AOL 2Mbps -> TalkTalk upto 24Meg (19Mbps) -> SkyBB upto 10Meg (8.4Mbps) :: Now, Patiently waiting for FTTC then upgrade to FTTPoD
  Print Thread

Jump to