User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Apr-13 12:44:24
Print Post

Sky doing what they do best..

[link to this post]

My broadband and phone is not due to be activated until Thursday but I just happened to plug in and turn on my hub to see what the control panel was like and I am on.

Phone number is not active yet but I have internet. Not sure how but I am very happy. And 6 months free too! - even at £10 a month it's a steal!

I'm locked to 4mbps which am sure will be the case until they "officially" activate it but still good timing for me trying to survive on my phone (which keeps dropping the connection)

So cheers sky!

p.s when you connected my house previously to someone else's account I had free internet for 2 months - (and I did tell you) so double thanks!
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Tue 16-Apr-13 12:53:32
Print Post

Re: Sky doing what they do best..

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

It is Openeach who have done the work, not SKY!

Are you sure you are connected to the SKY broadband - by connected your telephone they could have connected you to whoever had BB on that connection previously.

Or they could have jumpered you to SKY MSAN at the same time.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Apr-13 13:14:39
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

I've lived here years and I had sky before VM so yes I am sure I am connected. I have a Sky IP address and it shows up as Sky when I look at it.

My router has internet. I've just had a text from Open reach saying the Thursday engineer visit is not necessary and I can enjoy it from then. I knew it was not necessary.

I know in the past as I said before my router started to get internet from someone else who was leaving for Virgin. That lasted 2 months and I told sky.

Whatever they have done I am happy as I was just about to give up on 3G.

I am on it. I am sure Andrew or a Mod can confirm I am posting from a Sky IP address

Openreach might have done it yes but they set it up quicker than any other exchange based services i've ever had.

Edited to say the only complaint I have with the new sky hub is the wireless is weaker than the VM superhub. I got 3 bars on that when it was behind my PC - the Sky hub is downstairs and gives me 2. and it's only B/G too!

atleast I think I am... Speedtest.net says sky broadband but this sites tester shows SP unknown. Oh well. It's 2 days of free service as it's clearly working smile

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 16-Apr-13 13:20:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Apr-13 17:14:32
Print Post

And are you now going to ruin other Sky BB connections by downloading the whole of the internet as usual?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Apr-13 17:36:36
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
And are you now going to ruin other Sky BB connections by downloading the whole of the internet as usual?

No, Oh of course your soon to be a sky customer if your signature if correct. I'd say it was an upgrade if anything.

I never ruined any VM connections. As you can see VM don't need any help to do that - they are the masters! smile

But I can't do much on the speed I have. I only do about 200MB a day now through gaming and skype calls. So are you going to come onto Sky and mess up my connection?

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 16-Apr-13 17:38:37)

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Apr-13 17:59:25
Print Post

I am sure you will enjoy this new service. It starts at 4M and then over 3->5->10 days the speed slowly increases to your final value. After 5 days I reached my maximum. For some, they need to reboot the router to pick up the extra speed, for others it happens automatically.

Good luck smile

IanD
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Apr-13 18:18:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
I'm locked to 4mbps
Not locked but at initial value before they up it steadily until it reaches the max it can hold.

Altho' it won't take much to better 4 millibits per sec.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 16-Apr-13 18:20:40)

Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Tue 16-Apr-13 18:33:46
Print Post

Your lucky! Although BTO have completed the work, Sky's systems won't activate your connection from there end until the activation date has reached.

I was due activating on a Friday and all the work was complete two days prior to that but I had to wait for Sky to press there magic button to start the talk/bb, unfortunately frown

Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(committed) Tue 16-Apr-13 19:04:56
Print Post

I'm really annoyed with SKY, 43 days without losing connection, then 3/4 through the 43rd day in the early hours, it goes , go figure, How much do you have to pay for solid connection, these days. I know I live in a rural location (yuk spit from the urbanites) but only for 43 days come on SKY sort your DLM out wink .

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Apr-13 19:26:32
Print Post

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

I see what you mean. For me the "button push would only be from 4-6mbps so I guess there's no pointing ringing them up and saying it's all been done.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to