User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Grggs9
(newbie) Tue 30-Apr-13 19:56:16
Print Post

Advice please.

[link to this post]

Getting sky fibre soon up tp 40 meg. I currently have 85mbps homeplugs but I'm going to upgrade them to these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Power...
And I also want to purchase this aswell
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SF1005D-100Mbps-U...

Would these work well together as I want to connect my xbox, pc and sky hd box. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Tue 30-Apr-13 20:58:16
Print Post

Re: Advice please.

[re: Grggs9] [link to this post]

So is the switch to connect via the homeplugs to the SKY router? The switch will enable up to 4 devices via the homeplugs.

The limiting point I can see is that the switch is only a 100BaseTX device so you wouldnt be able to transfer anything faster than that. Not a huge problem unless you do big transfers over your internal network.

Strangely the homeplugs, rated at 500Mb/s, claim not to be gigabit capable (the TL-PA511 is) - how on earth do you transmit 500Mb/s without gigabit?

The Openreach modem is only 100Mb/s so you will not have higher than that into your home for a good while yet.

So it should be fine. You have not fallen down the trap of looking for a router - you don't need one.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-May-13 12:37:58
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
Strangely the homeplugs, rated at 500Mb/s, claim not to be gigabit capable (the TL-PA511 is) - how on earth do you transmit 500Mb/s without gigabit?

That figure relates to maximum simultaneously transmittable over the system (I think).....

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-May-13 12:58:15
Print Post

[re: Grggs9] [link to this post]

Have a look on 7day shop and ebuyer as well, there are always deals on for these things may pick yourself up a bargain.

If you are only using a couple of pairs I would ask if you really need 500's, I use 200's to stream video around the house and they cope more than well enough...

I have heard that some older TP-Link firmwares have issues with UDP packets so beware you may have to do a firmware update.....

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-May-13 21:13:59
Print Post

[re: madmart] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by madmart:
If you are only using a couple of pairs I would ask if you really need 500's, I use 200's to stream video around the house and they cope more than well enough...

It really depends on your wiring and other devices, and you'll not know until you try.

Using the Power Packet Utility at my friends house using the 200s we saw a link between rooms claiming 80megabit, and with the 500s we saw a link claiming 140megabit.

The latter managed to keep up with 30megabit cable internet, the former was slowing down to 15megabit - using internet speedtests on a laptop connected to one homeplug.

YMMV.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User simon194
(committed) Thu 02-May-13 14:50:17
Print Post

[re: madmart] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by madmart:
That figure relates to maximum simultaneously transmittable over the system (I think).....

That is correct.

For example if you are passing large volumes of data both ways on two connected AV500 homeplugs they will only achieve a theoretical maximum of 250Mbps at either end. Add another plug and it drops further.
  Print Thread

Jump to