User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Basil1234
(newbie) Sun 12-May-13 10:52:49
Print Post

Sky fttc thruput issues on sky network.....

[link to this post]

thought i would put this up its all over skys own forum have a read if anyone is thinking of getting fttc from sky i would hold off or use someone else.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Br...

i am amazed that andrew hasn't picked up on this and put it up as a news article and spoken to sky about it because some users have had to put up with this issue for some 10months+

basically sky have got a thruput issue at exchange level between their equipment and bts equipment they are trying to sort a fix out but this has been ongoing for some 10 plus months ago. anyway the fix they are testing at the moment worked well for some and some people it has turned their speed in half again and its not been sorted fast at all.

I really thought people should be made aware of this issue considering getting fttc from sky some people could be walking into a right mare anyway hope this helps some of you make an informed choice being aware of this issue!

basil
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-May-13 11:18:10
Print Post

Re: Sky fttc thruput issues on sky network.....

[re: Basil1234] [link to this post]

It's sad really, people being excited by getting fibre speeds for the first time, and Sky essentially ruining it for them once they are connected.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sun 12-May-13 11:18:41)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 12-May-13 14:13:42
Print Post

If there is a specific speed issue with Sky then if I do the same analysis as I've done for Talk Talk products at
http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2013/05/talktalk-broa...

Then it should reveal itself as a different shaped curve. Its not a quick thing to great the plots, as we have to filter the data to get rid of all the obvious mistakes, though as Sky is just consumer that should be simpler.

Was going to try and do just 1 or 2 a month, but if there are some active issues I may have to do all the big providers in one go

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 12-May-13 15:11:21
Print Post

so there is a constraint on the link from Openreach to Sky, or the Sky network is generally congested in the affected exchanges ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Basil1234
(newbie) Sun 12-May-13 17:33:51
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

as i have read it and understood it yarwell the problem is between certain sky hardware in the exchange talking thru bt gears and there lies the issue the actual thruput is half of actual sync speed they are trying to get new firmware written for the exchanges with said hardware involved, so is not bt fault but a direct result of some of skys chosen vendor hardware.

which sky are remaining very tight lipped about there is a manager on the forum with no technical expertise at all just a customer service manager offering only the lip service but she has taken upon herself to take ownership of said issue which basically amounts to lip service and putting people on an inside list of people that are effected so therefor appear to the outside world to be doing something but i reckon alot of people don't even know they are effected they look at there sync speed and think they get what they are paying for! I wonder how many GB sky are saving by this country wide? almost like throttling by the back door imho a serious charge.

but it seriously needs looking at as some people have been having this issue for 10months plus with keep promising of a fix every so often i'm inclined to believe it is down to sky buying cheap equipment at exchange level on some of its infrastructure overall which is quite concerning that users are not aware of could be getting themselves a whole host of issues basically not getting what they are paying for.
imho it becomes simple as this in one word theft, you wouldn't pay for half a mobile contract minutes would you?

also one other concern with regards sky is the pricing on fttc its a year old now and there pricing is very uncompetitive compared with other suppliers out there such as plusnet and even bt maybe andrew could get an answer out of them because also in the forums the officials keep ignoring the questions or claim everything is hunky dory and its all ok. personally i think they have to make more money to pay for o2/be buy out and people won't work it out.

hope it has helped
basil
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 12-May-13 18:42:45
Print Post

Half sync speed or half the throughput for the reported sync speed?

Varying over time? Or always the same?

Have people on the affected exchanges cross referenced to people with other providers, to ensure its not just unusually higher fibre takeup and the 15 Meg and 30 Meg reserved bandwith on the Openreach leg kicking in.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-May-13 00:23:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Full synch but only half throughput speed.

This is the latest thread on the matter (there was a previous long thread, which wasn't created by Sky staff): http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Br...

Oliver.
Standard User mysticeddy
(regular) Mon 13-May-13 00:41:00
Print Post

Luckily it would appear my exchange has the 'good' kit installed, as I've had consistent 38Mb throughout since having the service over a year ago. It wasn't long after my install (end of April) that I started to see threads appearing about this half speed issue. Looks like I've dodged a bullet so to speak smile. Still, the product's been on the market for over a year, you'd think they would have sorted this mess out by now!
Standard User simon194
(committed) Mon 13-May-13 00:57:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The issue is that the throughput is roughly half the sync speed and it stays the same. Originally it was thought to be related to the IP address range because customers with the issue had 176.xxx.xxx.xxx IP addresses but this proved to be a red herring in the end.

Personally I've never had this problem although we did have peak time congestion issues last year until Alcatel-Lucent upgraded the backhaul and the throughput has been OK since.

TBH I don't think the issue is particularly widespread as it appears because as with all these sorts of issues it's the people with the problem that report it on forums. It would be interesting to know if it's the original LLU'd exchanges that are seeing the problem because Sky didn't have an LLU presence at my local exchange until 2009 by which time I think Sky had switched from Telent to Alcatel for their network maintenance.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-May-13 04:25:24
Print Post

Not got this issue myself. What is interesting is a friend on the same exchange was convinced that they had the half throughput issue and I asked if they were using wireless, their response yes. The Sky router is unlikely to give full 40Mbps or even 80Mbps wirelessly. I think this causes issues for people who don't fully understand the technology, they see a connection at 144Mbps and assume it's faster than ethernet.

I get the full 80Mbps down on Sky via ethernet. No issues.

I honestly think it's far less widespread than people think.
When speeds get this fast people need a perfectly ideal setup in order to get the full speeds. Plenty of people don't have this perfect setup. They do a quick google search, see other people have around half throughput and assume they have the problem too. Actual fact is it's probably their OS, wireless card, laptop speed etc slowing them down.

Of course some are affected but it's by no means a giantly widespread issue IMO
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to