User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 13-May-13 08:11:11
Print Post

Re: Sky fttc thruput issues on sky network.....

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

is this thread a duplicate? I replied to another on the same topic.

yep here it is.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4237671-sky...

Since the other thread is dead I suggest merging/closing it.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 13-May-13 08:13:24
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

quite possibly yes.

eg. earlier this year BT had a peering issue to tbb affecting tbb graphs, at the same time plusnet had some issues and people were jumping in assuming both were the same problems. Its all too easy for people to assume they have the same problem as someone else.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-May-13 09:44:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Have people on the affected exchanges cross referenced to people with other providers, to ensure its not just unusually higher fibre takeup and the 15 Meg and 30 Meg reserved bandwith on the Openreach leg kicking in.

Wouldn't Openreach have to upgrade the bandwidth to preserve that 15/30Mb guarantee, thereby making take up irrelevant?

The issue is pretty consistent from the people reporting it. It's not the Openreach guarantee, that'd require the customers on the cabinet to be averaging a phenomenal amount of usage each.

Sky admit it's engineering issues on their core network, relates to the Alcatel Broadband Network Gateways, SR 7750s, they are terminating the PPPoE sessions on I believe.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-May-13 09:45:28
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

They would, but they can run it so that while for the majority the presence of the 15 and 30 is noticed, that in some areas for some time that available bandwidth may drop at peak times.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-May-13 09:46:22
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Immediate red-herring as an IP address does nothing to hold back throughput, unless one block is being routed differently, e.g. as part of an experiment.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-May-13 09:47:49
Print Post

And should add in your final line you've summarised the issue, and saved hours of trying to figure out stuff

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 13-May-13 10:08:35
Print Post

They would, but they can run it so that while for the majority the presence of the 15 and 30 is noticed, that in some areas for some time that available bandwidth may drop at peak times.

I don't think takeup will affect the 15 / 30 minima, but bandwidth usage could.

If a 1 Gig fibre feeds a line card of 24 - 48 line capacity there's a designed in match of capacity but 20 lines running at 50M simultaneously would max it out.

The cab I looked at had dedicated fibres per line card with 6 fibre pairs capability, don't know if this continued into the smaller more recent cabs.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-May-13 10:31:06
Print Post

And should add in your final line you've summarised the issue, and saved hours of trying to figure out stuff

Spent a while reading the forum thread, noted that it didn't affect customers exchange wide, ruling out the local exchange equipment and backhauls, Sky admitted it was their issue ruling out modem, cabinet and layer 2 switch, leaving the single point of failure the Sky BNGs.

How stupid will I look if I'm wrong now...
Standard User speedyrite
(regular) Mon 13-May-13 10:32:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Sky admit it's engineering issues on their core network, relates to the Alcatel Broadband Network Gateways, SR 7750s, they are terminating the PPPoE sessions on I believe.

Have long suspected it was certain kit at certain locations, but was unaware of the specifics and haven't seen the issue pinned down to specific kit before. Is there a source for this info? Is it re-configuration that's needed or revised OS/firmware?

PS. I don't think you are wrong!

Edited by speedyrite (Mon 13-May-13 10:33:37)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-May-13 11:10:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Spent a while reading the forum thread, noted that it didn't affect customers exchange wide, ruling out the local exchange equipment and backhauls, Sky admitted it was their issue ruling out modem, cabinet and layer 2 switch, leaving the single point of failure the Sky BNGs.

Plusnet customers often seem to see varying results depending on the "gateway" they are connected to. Do Sky use the same "gateway" setup and could it be a factor?

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to