User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Tue 21-May-13 00:11:27
Print Post

SKY Wireless Connector Data Usage/Activity

[link to this post]

I'm hoping someone can help as I'm having issues with my data usage and the Sky Wireless Connector;

Does anyone know how much data the Wireless Connector uses when not streaming/downloading (basically watching normal tv or box on standby)?

The reason I ask is because it seems to be using a lot if data.

Not only that but it is interfering with my SamKnows Whitebox Tests as the Whitebox is detected traffic thus not performing tests....

Many thanks in advance....
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Thu 23-May-13 00:35:29
Print Post

Re: SKY Wireless Connector Data Usage/Activity *DELETED*

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

Post deleted by shaneosborne
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-May-13 09:43:44
Print Post

Re: SKY Wireless Connector Data Usage/Activity

The wireless connector is just a wireless device so should not be using a lot of data, unless the Sky is making requests.

If Sky boxes were chewing lots of bandwidth I'd have hoped someone would have noticed by now. Apart from when obviously watching an on-demand (over Internet) film/show.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Thu 23-May-13 09:58:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have a SKY wireless connector on my SKY box and a samknows box and have no issues.

Data transfer only occurs when downloading programmes from SKY using their "on demand" service. There are no background transfers or speculative transfers of data over the internet.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Thu 23-May-13 10:02:53
Print Post

Could it be that your Sky HD Box is recording something, even when apparently in stand-by?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-May-13 10:11:36
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Recording, as in downloading a show that they have queued up?

That is the only activity I see on mine.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Thu 23-May-13 11:16:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, Andrew.

Exactly what I had in mind.

Although I have such SKY HD+ Box facilities, I have not used it in that specific manner, hence some uncertainty on my part.

For example, can the Boxes be set to record one TV Channel continuously over 24 hours x 365 days, even if apparently in Stand-by, apart from being able to be set to record various series and the like, which could build up to be virtually full time?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-May-13 11:32:37
Print Post

The TV channels (over satellite) are always grabbed via satellite.

Only on demand content can be downloaded, so if you like Harry Potter (around 35GB for series) you can tick to download each one and it queues them up.

There is no series link functionality in the on-demand menus.

Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Thu 23-May-13 11:35:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
For example, can the Boxes be set to record one TV Channel continuously over 24 hours x 365 days, even if apparently in Stand-by, apart from being able to be set to record various series and the like, which could build up to be virtually full time?

No - on demand doesnt give the facility to set advance recordings in the same manner that you do with satellite programmes.

On demand only shows you lists of programmes that can be downloaded now and when one is chosen it will be downloaded "now" but it is a background task which is visible in the planner.

If I was the OP the first thing I would try is to reboot the box. They are very old technology and not at all reliable.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
  Print Thread

Jump to