User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-May-13 19:39:38
Print Post

Sky customers will be allowed to use their own routers

[link to this post]

Interesting news from a "Talk to Sky" event at BE Broadband: Sky customers will be allowed to use their own routers at some point in the future.

http://beusergroup.co.uk/index.php?id=949

Q: Can we use our own routers?

A: We will be changing our policy on this both for BE members who are switched to Skys network and also for the rest of our Sky Broadband customers. Its going to take us a bit of time to be able to extend this to all Sky customers. BE members can continue to use their own routers now, and after your service has been switched to Skys network if you are part of the Sky-managed migration.
We will be training all our technical help advisors over time about supporting non-Sky routers (we have thousands of advisors so it will take a bit of time) but we won't be able to run all diagnostics and provide as full technical support as for Sky routers.

Oliver.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-May-13 20:02:26
Print Post

Re: Sky customers will be allowed to use their own routers

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

What's this IT stack that Sky keep referring to when they have no answer ? I would take most of what has been said with a big pinch of salt, words are easy, Personally i wouldn't hold my breath on Sky becoming more user friendly , But it would be good if they did,
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-May-13 20:14:24
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
What's this IT stack that Sky keep referring to when they have no answer ?

It will be their internal IT system - they will have invested mega-bucks in getting a simple-to-use IT system that is integrated with Openreach ordering.

I suspect to add these new features will require changes to their IT system, and those normally cost. :-/

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-May-13 20:32:11
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
What's this IT stack that Sky keep referring to when they have no answer ?

It will be their internal IT system - they will have invested mega-bucks in getting a simple-to-use IT system that is integrated with Openreach ordering.

I suspect to add these new features will require changes to their IT system, and those normally cost. :-/
From what I've read they keep referring to it for their own stuff, like are they going to allow fastpath or Annex M or line config changes , basically each time they cannot answer definitively or they are unable fully understand the questions being put to them, then there's the old get out well we can't promise this or that but we will blah blah...... So that's a no then
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-May-13 21:46:05
Print Post

From what I've read they keep referring to it for their own stuff, like are they going to allow fastpath or Annex M or line config changes , basically each time they cannot answer definitively or they are unable fully understand the questions being put to them, then there's the old get out well we can't promise this or that but we will blah blah...... So that's a no then

I think its safe to assume no, but it doesn't mean that.

Given probably less than 10% out of Sky's nearly 5 million customers will benefit from Annex M, do they spend the large amount of money needed to update the IT systems to remotely control the DSLAMs from the helpdesk?

Likewise the issue for Static IP.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-May-13 04:34:43
Print Post

Then they should just be honest about things instead of trying to prolong the inevitable,Because for those who can't get fttc and need things like Annex M , Static IP's as well as being able to configure profiles manually, oh and use their own router without issues, will be jumping ship if they haven't done so already, nevermind the not wanting to help line Rupert murdocks pockets

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 30-May-13 07:25:50)

Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Thu 30-May-13 10:16:24
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

No annex M is a deal breaker for me. With 6 devices using my connection, and no FTTC until next year, Sky's paltry 1 MB upload just won't cut it. I neither want nor need satellite TV so any of their offers for switching early won;t be tempting me either.

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Thu 30-May-13 11:55:48
Print Post

Wasn't it the same with UKOnline? They don't see that there is although small on their terms a real market out there for users who want certain products that don't fit in with their mass market model.

There may be possibly a couple of hundred thousand domestic customers out there in the UK that may want some or all of the special services that are on offer.

As far as Sky is concerned that is too small a number to worry over what may be a high demand on their CST's.

So it is all "we're looking into this etc etc" while they try and jam all of the customer base onto their existing packages.

Sky started 7 years ago and haven't once seriously considered changing their position in the market since then what makes anybody think they will now?
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-May-13 18:28:19
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by undecidedadrian:
what makes anybody think they will now?

They spent quite a lot of money buying customers from Telefonica. Hardly economic to have 50% of those customers quit due to no Annex M or static IP options within the first 10 days of being migrated to a new network.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-May-13 18:51:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by undecidedadrian:
what makes anybody think they will now?

They spent quite a lot of money buying customers from Telefonica. Hardly economic to have 50% of those customers quit due to no Annex M or static IP options within the first 10 days of being migrated to a new network.
But the customer base was probably the only thing worth anything, But how can you successfully sell a customer base without firstly asking that customer base if they agree to remain a customer once anything is changed regarding the service they currently recieve,
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to