User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User alexander240
(newbie) Thu 13-Jun-13 10:24:17
Print Post

Test Speeds

[link to this post]

I had Sky Broadband installed 8 days ago and have been checking the speeds daily on the thinkbroadband speedtester. The first few days both download tests were more or less the same getting up to around 15mb. However in the last two days the ttb download number has dropped to be around half the other. The ttb is showing at 7 or 8 whilst the other is around 17. Is there any reason why this may be or is it a sign something is wrong?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Jun-13 10:27:58
Print Post

Re: Test Speeds

[re: alexander240] [link to this post]

Usual reasons are

1. Small RWIN on PC
2. Using wireless
3. Contention on the ISP network

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alexander240
(newbie) Thu 13-Jun-13 10:29:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ianph
(committed) Thu 13-Jun-13 11:16:37
Print Post

[re: alexander240] [link to this post]

i cant say this for sure but when i was with sky the TBB speedtest NEVER showed full speed of the line although speedtest.net showed proper speed and normal throuhput always was higher than TBB said i could achieve now im on fibre with talktalk its the opposite lol

Edited by Ianph (Thu 13-Jun-13 11:17:23)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Jun-13 11:25:15
Print Post

[re: Ianph] [link to this post]

Was that with the old tester? (pre Feb 2013)

The old test with its single thread would give slower speeds if contention and other issues were taking place. By doing both now if the tbb is wandering around and you know your PC is not the issue, you can infer congestion somewhere and with 10 Gbps for our server it is unlikely to be us.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ianph
(committed) Thu 13-Jun-13 16:00:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

ahh yes it was sometime in july/august 2012 i last used the TBB test on a sky connection sorry please excuse my earlier post
  Print Thread

Jump to