User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MikeL
(member) Mon 17-Jun-13 11:34:21
Print Post

Fibre in area

[link to this post]

It finally happened, our little village got fibre access, never thought it would! Anyway I see it is £20 a month + £50 setup fee. I'm guessing its a 12 month contract? I understand they have to come out and do something with our faceplate? If after 12 months we want to go back to sky broadband unlimited is it easy to do? We already have the newest white router which I believe is compatible with fibre.

We currently get 5mb connection, what sort of speeds do you get on fibre? I have seen 2 people on YouTube who had a 1.5mb connection on unlimited but when they got sky fibre they were getting 38mb. The website says I can get 15.6-15.6mb so it doesn't seem to be a vast improvement.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Jun-13 12:09:45
Print Post

Re: Fibre in area

[re: MikeL] [link to this post]

The improvement is dependant on the distance to you from the green street cabinet, so if estimate is around 15 Meg it suggests it is 1km or more away.

As for going back to ADSL2+ the same faceplate can be used, so would just be a migration back to an ADSL service. Most who do move stay on fibre after moving.

As an existing Sky customer there should upgrade offers that reduce the cost of the fibre service.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Jun-13 19:52:28
Print Post

[re: MikeL] [link to this post]

as has been mentioned, where is the new fibre cabinet to your house. I had a 5M service with sky and transferred to fibre and managed to get the 40M service I paid for. The green cabinet was 2mins walk from my house.

I would say if you can get 15M+ and you are willing to pay the £20/mth then go for it, if not then wait until a neighbour gets fibre and see what speed they get. A 15M service will run sky download and 2-3 people downloading at the same time. It depends on what the overall use is in your house, if you notice any difference or not.

IanD

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MikeL
(member) Tue 18-Jun-13 20:17:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks. I'm not sure where the green cabinet here is, will have to go out and look for it. In last house it was very close to our house I remember.

Yeah there are offers, can get around £50 tcb and 6 months half price.
Standard User MikeL
(member) Tue 18-Jun-13 20:22:27
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Thanks. I'm not sure really, I guess its a luxury we can do without, don't do a great deal of downloading really. I'm going to check out where the cabinet is though to see how far away it is and see if I can estimate what I can get!

Edited by MikeL (Tue 18-Jun-13 20:23:32)

Print Thread

Jump to