User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FraserSoft
(regular) Thu 04-Jul-13 09:36:33
Print Post

Slower speed with Sky

[link to this post]

I was with O2 broadband from when they started and migrated to Sky early June to take up there offer. I have found that since the original waiting period for the speed to settle down my overall speed is slower than with O2.
My sync speed with O2 was around 8.6Mbps down and 1.325Mbps up now the maximum I get is 7.3Mbps down and only 0.7Mbps up. I am sure someone on here can explain why as Sky seem incapable of answering my questions.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Jul-13 09:52:44
Print Post

Re: Slower speed with Sky

[re: FraserSoft] [link to this post]

Different providers have different ways of running the lines. Sky tend to run their DLM and then cap the speed to what they believe is the best most stable speed.

O2 tended to run lines faster which for those with stable lines was great.

Without seeing the attenuation, exact connection speeds and noise margin figures from before and after it is hard to say more.

In theory you can call Sky support and get things tweaked, but seeing the router data will show us whether its worth pestering them.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dcsarge
(regular) Thu 04-Jul-13 10:43:03
Print Post

I had the same problem when I switched from O2 to Sky over 18 months ago. I went from 10.5/1.2 to 7/0.6 ish but the line was more stable. Strangely in the past couple of weeks I noticed my transfer rates were improving and the line is now on 9.2/1.0 and it appears to coincide with the line switching from MER to PPPoA.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wingco1
(legend) Thu 04-Jul-13 11:18:00
Print Post

Sky have deep interleaving turned on as standard. AIUI they won't turn it off.
Standard User wadokai
(newbie) Thu 04-Jul-13 11:25:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Me too !! but still on the 10 day test.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Jul-13 11:42:33
Print Post

[re: wadokai] [link to this post]

The 10 days is just the time frame that Sky usually believe things will have settled down, but as I have found the speeds can go up and down beyond that and am currently at the fastest either of my lines have ever been

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

42dB downstream attenuation, usually and around 8.5 Mbps sync these days and that is with Sky limiting me to ADSL2 rather than ADSL2+

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Nighty1973
(member) Thu 04-Jul-13 12:51:48
Print Post

I used to be with Be* (same network as O2) and I could get a reasonably stable (dropped once or twice a week, sometimes had to force a re-sync if it synced at 7Mbs) 10Mbps at 3dB noise margin because I pushed it to the limit. With Sky, I initially ended up on around 6.5Mbps. After some tweaking via Tier 2 support, I now get a rock solid, stable 8.1Mbps at 6-7dB.

Yes, my line can go faster, but it's not completely stable at those speeds so Sky won't push it any harder.

Ultimately, Sky look for stability over speed and that's the way it is.

I got things looked at by using the online contact form, detailed exactly what my previous connection stats were and pointed out the large difference in speeds (from 10 down to 6.5Mbps). This then got passed to Tier 2 support who worked their magic. Given that you haven't seen that huge a drop (compared to what mine was), I doubt you'll get much joy out of them, but all you can do is ask.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Jul-13 13:26:50
Print Post

As has been mentioned sky go for absolute stability not speed.

Sky tries to get a speed which means your line will never drop out. Most customers have poor internal wiring etc and this way of doing things mean even they have a stable connection.

With your slower speed.
It'll be because the O2 speed was not totally stable.
The line probably had a drop out once a day or so, but that wouldn't be stable enough for sky. Most people don't even notice drop outs.
You'll notice a sky line can have an uptime of half a year quite often without drop outs.

Ultimately most customers want it to work. They're happy to lose some speed if their lines totally stable and perfect. Sky's mass market and that's what it's going for.

If your lines stable enough sky can give a 3db noise margin. Also DLM kind of always runs so if the lines entirely stable in a few months the speeds may get better still.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Jul-13 13:28:15
Print Post

You mention 0.7 up. That's odd.

DLM nearly always gives higher.

If you ring and ask customer services to tweak the line or do anything on the line speed they give a 0.7 upload. Did you do this?

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 04-Jul-13 13:28:28)

Standard User davetel
(learned) Thu 04-Jul-13 17:10:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Different providers have different ways of running the lines.

How do BT/PlusNet run their lines. On the verge of asking for MAC code from O2 due to various A/C issues and hearing of others with lower speeds- mostly on longer lines like me when moving to SKY. Was with BT way back in '07, got 4700 atten. 55, on 02 LLU now av 57-5800 on ADSL1 992.1. atten 55 and 61-6200 when it ADSL2+ 992.5. atten 58! Line is dead stable on both.

Edited by davetel (Thu 04-Jul-13 17:10:36)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to