User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FraserSoft
(regular) Sat 13-Jul-13 09:24:02
Print Post

Telephone number

[link to this post]

I have discovered in the last few days that Sky have passed my Ex Dir telephone number on to a 3rd party, namely Domestic & General who have since rung me asking if I want insurance for my 5 week old Sky equipment. I am assuming that without my permission they, under the Data Protection Act are not allowed to do this and it would appear that a couple more of my friends who recently migrated from O2 have had similar phone calls.
Is there anyone else who has had similar calls as it would be reasonable to assume that mine and my friends numbers are not the only ones that have been passed on....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Jul-13 10:05:38
Print Post

Re: Telephone number

[re: FraserSoft] [link to this post]

www.skyprotect.com the approved provider of the Sky box insurance

As for DPA, have you checked whether T&C's mention passing onto approved suppliers etc

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User FraserSoft
(regular) Sat 13-Jul-13 11:32:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes I have read the 18 pages of T&C's and it says nothing about passing info to 3rd party. They can use your info for debt recovery purposes and marketing but it states nothing about passing it to 3rd parties. I was advised that D&G are an approved provider but as they are not part of the Sky organisation they are classed as a 3rd party.
I tried for 2 days to get an answer out of Sky without success so I have advised them that I have submitted a claim to The Information Commissioners Office who will now deal with it.
It does beg the question if it is found that they have broke the DPA regulations how many other peoples telephone numbers have been passed on and to how many Companies ?
One other point is my Sky equipment is only 4 weeks old why would I want Sky Protect..!

Edited by FraserSoft (Sat 13-Jul-13 14:23:29)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Jul-13 14:23:11
Print Post

Being going on for years so either compliant or no-one has ever complained

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User FraserSoft
(regular) Sat 13-Jul-13 14:24:12
Print Post

I suspect the latter..
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Jul-13 14:32:42
Print Post

Little surprise how some of these companies get your number when you have ISP's passing on/selling phone numbers and details about you to 3rd parties,

If they mention marketing purposes then you should be able to opt out of this, and that goes for any company ,why should they be able to sell your details to other companies without your knowledge or agreement ? A bit like talk talk, they had my details some 5 yrs after i had left tiscali uk(before they purchased it) which they used for unsolicticted marketing (junk mail) through the letter box,
Standard User FraserSoft
(regular) Sat 13-Jul-13 14:38:00
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Well it will be interesting to see what comes out of my claim to the Information Commissioners Office and also with my complaint to Sky as I understand after 2 days of asking has been passed to the Data Protection Dept.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Jul-13 15:18:29
Print Post

Is this for Sky dish and box or just telecomms equipment or both?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User FraserSoft
(regular) Sat 13-Jul-13 16:03:15
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

I migrated over from O2 with phone and broadband and Sky threw in a Sky HD+ box with the Entertainment Extra+ package free for a year all to pay was line rental, so everything with Sky Now.
Standard User FraserSoft
(regular) Sun 14-Jul-13 14:24:50
Print Post

I dropped an email to the Data Protection department to make sure my complaint had been passed to them and got this automated reply...

"Thank you for contacting the Data Protection team at British Sky Broadcasting Limited.

If your query relates to Data Protection or a third party warranty provider please rest assured we will deal with your query and respond where appropriate. If your query does not relate to one of these, please redirect your query to the Contact Us section within our Help Centre at www.Sky.com."

It would appear from this that third party warranty provider is not a new problem and I'm surprised that not more readers haven't come across the problem of their telephone number being passed on without their permission.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to