User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Sat 27-Jul-13 20:46:52
Print Post

Sky BB Unlimited --> Upgrade to --> Fibre Unlimited

[link to this post]

When upgrading to Fibre from BB Unlimited does your username and/or password change?

I already have the new SR101 Router but they are sending me another, I was told to keep it as a spare as I told them I already have the new router. I assume it remains the same based on that comment but as a lot if us know, what Sky say and what actually happens are two completely different things...

Thanks in advance...
Standard User spongebobhims
(regular) Sat 27-Jul-13 22:26:19
Print Post

Re: Sky BB Unlimited --> Upgrade to --> Fibre Unlimited

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

The Sr101 can do both ADSL & FTTC, there is just a mode change needed.

The username will not change as such it's more of a change on the authorising system which allows use of the Internet.

You will need to do nothing apart from plug the New hub into the Openreach box.
I have made the change myself so talk from experiance here.

(experienced) Sat 27-Jul-13 23:54:53
Print Post

[re: spongebobhims] [link to this post]

Many thanks, the reason I asked is because I use my own router and can't be bothered to extract any new username or password from the router...

Thanks again....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Jul-13 05:05:17
Print Post

The usernames not even important. You can buy a Sky router on ebay, it will have somebody elses username and password coded into it, however the port at the telephone exchange is linked to you & Sky are aware you're using the connection not the ebay seller. So long as any Sky username and password is used it does not matter. So as you switch router to router, there will be a different username between the routers however it doesn't matter. The Sky network will just authorise any Sky username and password to your port. So usernames not important at all.

There can be a gap of around an hour when switching routers on Sky as the network authenticates, so just hold on.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 28-Jul-13 05:06:47)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Jul-13 05:10:11
Print Post

Just to make you aware. Sky Fibre authenticates onto the network totally different to ADSL. Your ADSL router is unlikely / virtually no chance of working with Sky Fibre.

No doubt you are currently using PPOA. Sky FIbre enforces MER. Also Your ADSL router cannot connect to the openreach modem properly.

I would strongly advise just using the Sky Hub. It has great WiFi compared to the HomeHub 3 I have, it never ever ever crashes (rare) and it'll do the job ok. It will probably give around 50Mbps wireless which is plenty.

I would only recommend using your own router if you want dual band etc.
(experienced) Sun 28-Jul-13 09:28:04
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I have the Billion 7800n with updated firmware and others seem to be fine on Fibre with Sky....
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Jul-13 12:33:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by shaneosborne:
I have the Billion 7800n with updated firmware and others seem to be fine on Fibre with Sky....
The Billion 7800 has a EWAN port and also since the latest firmware now works with sky's MER,or is reported to do , So with the sky pass and user name should work fine with sky FTTC just as it does with the ordinary methods used by most other ISP's PPPOE/PPPOA FTTC

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 28-Jul-13 12:34:13)

Standard User jamie543
(learned) Sun 28-Jul-13 13:10:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Just to make you aware. Sky Fibre authenticates onto the network totally different to ADSL. Your ADSL router is unlikely / virtually no chance of working with Sky Fibre.

No doubt you are currently using PPOA. Sky FIbre enforces MER. Also Your ADSL router cannot connect to the openreach modem properly.

I would strongly advise just using the Sky Hub. It has great WiFi compared to the HomeHub 3 I have, it never ever ever crashes (rare) and it'll do the job ok. It will probably give around 50Mbps wireless which is plenty.

I would only recommend using your own router if you want dual band etc.

Im not a fan of the Sky Hub for me the wireless is shocking. My NAS unit would disapear from my wireless devices and would only return after restarting the Sky Hub this would happen daily i solved the issue by turning the Sky Hub wireless off and using a different AP for wireless now my NAS unit is visable to all wireless devices and never needs the wireless to be restarted

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Jul-13 13:35:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
It has great WiFi compared to the HomeHub 3 I have,

To be honest that's not hard! I've never seen a Sky Hub - but the BT HomeHub 3 is pretty awful with range - I assume it has a very low transmit power.

Sky should soon be announcing how to use your own routers with their platform (thanks to the BE acquisition) - obviously with no support from their call centres.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Jul-13 13:39:03
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

My Sky Hub covers my house quite nicely, 6 bedrooms, 3 floors, 3 bathrooms. I can even get on it from across the road and the hub is at the back of my house.

The Hub is in the extension so has to go through a good 30cm thick concrete wall to get into the house too. Overall the signal beats the socks of my netgear Netgear Dual Band DGND3700

My HomeHub, well I swear it used to be better (although I do barely use it) however it now covers around half the property.

The worst I ever used was the virgin superhub.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 28-Jul-13 13:40:40)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to