User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User theboylard
(regular) Mon 29-Jul-13 09:37:42
Print Post

Sky outage in Corby, Desborough, Rothwell

[link to this post]

Morning all,

had my pet plumber moan over the weekend about his broadband being up & down with phone line not working either.

He moved off o2 and took up sky's offer (although he already had TV) and for the last week or so he has had nothing but instability!.

He's been in touch with some of his customers in the area on Sky and all reporting the same problems.
Sky telephone just rings and then on hold for 20 mins+ .
Ring in on a mobile (at extortionate rates) and the automatic message is we are aware of a problem with your exchange... but checking sky's service status and no problems reported?!

Check the forums though and loads of posts, absolutely nothing from Sky?

Any thoughts?

Plusnet FTTC - early days yet smile
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Jul-13 11:04:22
Print Post

Re: Sky outage in Corby, Desborough, Rothwell

[re: theboylard] [link to this post]

Has he only just gone over to Sky? If so for the first 10 - 14 days of service the line will drop out a lot (usually in the early hours of the morning) as DLM tries out loads of different speeds to find the stable one.

Most Sky lines go months and months without drop outs, although the first couple of weeks they have more drop outs than other ISPs as Sky really try to get that perfect speed sorted and nailed.

Can he provide us statistics from the router. Go to 192.168.0.1 username: admin password: sky
Click maintenance and show statistics.
Copy everything from that page. It'll be something like this
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/stats/images/skysagem.png

As far as I can tell there aren't any issues. It's never wise to ask neighbours really as often their issues are old computers, viruses, bad wireless connection (cheap wireless dongle in use), not in the master socket, using a cheap extension lead etc etc.

Just out of interest is he using the master socket?
If anything like this is in use on the broadband side of things immediately stop using it.
http://tinyurl.com/ouddv5k

POST EDITED SLIGHTLY.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 29-Jul-13 12:09:54)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 29-Jul-13 11:16:20
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

" with phone line not working either "

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User theboylard
(regular) Mon 29-Jul-13 11:37:30
Print Post

Hi,

in order then...
Nope, end of June. Worked ok and I watched his connection over first 2 weeks.

I am fully aware of dlm and how it works.

Sorry, but that is rubbish!! Sky outages are a regular occurrence, and looking at Sky's own forum I can see loads of folks have had the same problems - yet not a squeak from Sky?

Sky Help Forum - Technical

Nowt wrong with the router apart from it's another cop out in terms of hardware design (single channel wifi etc), and what the neighbours/friends say in the area is important - if they all have the same issue, ie no phone, broadband intermittent then I think that safely rules out any of your script monkey response!

I set him up 8 years ago, I then helped him once he had tired of AOL, he chose o2 on my recommendation, and after Sky's acquisition earlier this year he asked me what I was doing with my connection - I also was on o2 - I told him I had already left and was on Plusnet fibre.

He asked about Sky, I said your choice! But not mine having been there before I moved to o2.

He says he'll listen to me in future!!

Plusnet FTTC - early days yet smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Jul-13 11:47:33
Print Post

While the Sky DLM works differently to others it does not do lots of random lets try different speeds to the point of annoying people. On the 20 minutes each drop out, care to find the proof beyond hearsay, as I've never come across that.

it starts out at 4 Mbps and with generally overnight resyncs once some error stats have been collected increases maximum sync allowed.

In theory if ADSL2+ on O2 and ADSL2+ on Sky extensions should have no major difference, and Sky tends to run slower than O2 used to.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Jul-13 11:49:07
Print Post

If the voice phone is breaking, then nothing to do with broadband, and maybe a general issue with the Sky hardware at the exchange.

Have seen localised issues, but nothing network wide to say Sky voice breaks a lot, should know as one of my lines runs Sky

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Jul-13 12:01:04
Print Post

Hi,

in order then...
Nope, end of June. Worked ok and I watched his connection over first 2 weeks.

Great
I am fully aware of dlm and how it works.

Great
Sorry, but that is rubbish!! Sky outages are a regular occurrence, and looking at Sky's own forum I can see loads of folks have had the same problems - yet not a squeak from Sky?

I've had Sky since 2007, had it in 6 properties at one point at once. I rent a few houses to students and I provided sky broadband for free in them all since around 2009 without a single issue. Never had any problems with downtime personally, heyho. I think houses of 6 and 7 students would be onto me immediately if they were having issues. I also have it in my house and it's been far more reliable than BT.

My Sky line has had over 3 months of uptime. Just my two cents. DLM works so that the lines don't drop out on the whole.

Sky Help Forum - Technical

Nowt wrong with the router apart from it's another cop out in terms of hardware design (single channel wifi etc), and what the neighbours/friends say in the area is important - if they all have the same issue, ie no phone, broadband intermittent then I think that safely rules out any of your script monkey response!

Router could be better but most ISPs are only just starting to bring out dual band routers. This was released around a year ago when single band 2.4 ghz was common among all ISPs.

I hadn't realised that the landline was going off too. That was a mistake on my part. If the landlines going down too that's indicative of a line issue. It's not a script monkey response, quite common people do moan in the first couple of weeks when it's just DLM taking action.

I set him up 8 years ago, I then helped him once he had tired of AOL, he chose o2 on my recommendation, and after Sky's acquisition earlier this year he asked me what I was doing with my connection - I also was on o2 - I told him I had already left and was on Plusnet fibre.

Fair play.

He asked about Sky, I said your choice! But not mine having been there before I moved to o2.

In terms of the actual network the Sky network is better than the o2 one. Really think he will be just fine, this issue is likely one that's affecting people all around, if that's the case it should be addressed sooner rather than later.

He should contact Sky who will normally get BT out within 48 hours if the landlines going down. Don't just wait for it to be fixed. It needs reporting ASAP.

He says he'll listen to me in future!!

Most line faults are not ISP dependant. If you have a fault on BT, chances are moving to Plusnet or Sky isn't going to solve it, the fault just follows the customer around. Plusnet are pretty decent though. I wouldn't say better or worse than Sky though.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 29-Jul-13 12:03:14)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Jul-13 12:06:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just going off personal experience. When DLM was running for me it would drop out around 2 times an evening around 1 - 3am usually. It would never reconnect for a good 10 - 20 minutes, once requiring a router reboot to get it going. Each time the sync had changed significantly after this... I never had a disconnection during the day nonetheless so you're right it wouldn't annoy most people. Perhaps I got a little carried away there!
(I've edited the above post slightly to make it less misleading)

Also when changing routers on fibre I have noticed there's often a good 40 minute wait before they work.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 29-Jul-13 12:10:32)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Jul-13 13:10:37
Print Post

That wait will be the Sky systems updating for the new Ethernet WAN MAC address, suspect it would be faster if you cloned the WAN MAC address

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Jul-13 13:15:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That makes sense. I always wondered why the wait didn't occur on adsl but this explains it somewhat!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to