User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Fri 02-Aug-13 11:41:35
Print Post

Fibre Upgrade... Problems as always!

[link to this post]

What is it with BTO, nothing ever seems to run smoothly with these guys.

Fibre Upgrade took place a short while ago and although I have a Briadband Fibre Connection, I have no phone line! No dial tone...

Engineer said he has a dialtine at the cab and thought it may be a pairing issue but after checking everything he has no idea and leaves! What a joke!

I know have to wait for another engineer as it has been reported to the engineers manager as a fault. No time scale on when it will be fixed or nothing!

Has anyone else experienced this or heard of others with a similar problem?

The fault is clearly between the cab and my master socket as the engineer gets nothing at the property... What could it be?

Thanks all....

Oh! What speed do sky start you at when first connected (10day training)?

Edited by shaneosborne (Fri 02-Aug-13 11:42:44)

(experienced) Fri 02-Aug-13 12:50:27
Print Post

Re: Fibre Upgrade... Problems as always!

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

Ah great! Now I've received a text and an email stating that I could be charged for a missed appointment and to contact Sky! I give up on these useless @&£&@!
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Aug-13 13:03:01
Print Post

As sky FTTC is no different in that BTO have the controls, There is no 10 day training FTTC DLM doesn't work in that way, what speed you get from the begining will be likely to be the highest sync, from what others have said FTTC DLM will intervene only if it needs to usually within the first few days, but it's always on ,So it's best to avoid disconnecting/reconnecting the BTO Modem where possible .

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Fri 02-Aug-13 13:28:30
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Well, I hope it doesn't remain as it is as I'm only getting 16Mb sync when before I was getting 18Mb sync on standard adsl2.....
(experienced) Fri 02-Aug-13 14:24:52
Print Post

I'm also a little confused and concerned about the install provided by the BTO Engineer, I'm not sure if this will affect anything like speed but I do know that the engineer stated he got no dialtone from the test socket.

The BTO Engineer did NOT replace the faceplate, the old one is still in place and it uses the filter as it did with ADSL. So, will this affect my speed or connection in anyway and because the socket hasn't been replaced and the engineer is getting no dialtone could this be down to him not changing this?

As I stated before, my fibre works but no phone whatsoever and my speed is synced at 16Mb when on ADSL I was getting 18MB Stable connection with no problems...

Thanks in advance...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Aug-13 15:57:04
Print Post

You should have dialtone - particularly if you had dial tone before.

This lack of dialtone may be crippling the VDSL if its because one wire of the two needed for voice is all that is connected.

The simple you get no dialtone in the test socket says something is wrong, assuming you previously got dialtone in the test socket (there are daft ways of wiring phones that mean a test socket may not work, so hence asking about previously)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(experienced) Fri 02-Aug-13 16:05:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

All was fine prior to engineer visit...

All he said was that the dialtone isn't getting through (silent line).

He used all his test equipment and all confirmed no dialtone...

He revisited the cab and all is fine, so the problem lays between the cab and my home...

I'm going to take a look myself, I reckon I had a lazy engineer as he didn't change the faceplate or anything. Just connected it all and left it laying on the floor....

Only god knows what the problem is atm.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Aug-13 16:16:15
Print Post

if your wiring is incoming line to back of master and thus direct to test socket, then fixing that should have been the priority even above turning on the fibre.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(experienced) Fri 02-Aug-13 16:58:42
Print Post

Well, I've just had a look and all wiring is fine and the test socket isn't giving a dialtone...

Why would everything be fine before the engineer visit (phone and adsl working) but now after activating fibre all I get is an Internet connection?

I checked all wiring and as far as I can tell, all is as should be...

If all us fine at the cab then what could cause the problem? Isn't it just a copper line from cab to my home socket?

I think I mentioned this before but he thought it could be some pairing error and I heard him tell his manager over the phone that that was fine as the cab was fine...

Grgggh! What happens now is what I would like to know. Sky know nothing, they keep sending me emails and texts stating I'm going to be charged for missing an appointment even though they know all the problems I've had with this activation and that I didn't miss the appointment and all the engineer said was he will report a fault and it will be looked in to and will be fixed when its fixed...

I LOVE IT!!! LoL
(experienced) Fri 02-Aug-13 17:00:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
if your wiring is incoming line to back of master and thus direct to test socket, then fixing that should have been the priority even above turning on the fibre.

There was nothing to fix prior to activating the Fibre... Have I misunderstood your post :/
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to