User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Aug-13 09:06:38
Print Post

Whitstable contention ?

[link to this post]

Hi,

Iím on the Whitstable exchange (NDWHI), the last few days Iíve seen a 40%ish reduction in throughput on my line, stats are thus:-

Connection Speed 23999 kbps 1141 kbps
Line Attenuation 8.0 dB 6.4 dB
Noise Margin 6.8 dB 9.5 dB

RS Words: 201882840 2505387 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 1176 455 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 0 0 0

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

The PC is connected to the router with Ethernet (Via a homeplug connected at 150Mbps).

A huge hardship I know, I seem to be (Only) getting about 10 - 12 Mbps from my line regardless of where or what time I test.... To me it doesnít look like run of the mill contention, its almost like there is some kind of cap on the line, anyone got any ideas ?

Martin.

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 08-Aug-13 09:38:07
Print Post

Re: Whitstable contention ?

[re: madmart] [link to this post]

Plug direct into the router and retest. It may be the Homeplug.

Run the BT Speedtest to see what it says, including profile etc from the extra diagnostics option.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Aug-13 12:09:04
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Hi,

Will eliminate the homeplug later, but LAN data traveling over it seems to be at full chat when tested...

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com

gave me 10Mbps, and quite high pings, 120ms, couldn't run the extra diagnostics (sky llu may be?)

"The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Aug-13 18:28:04
Print Post

Tried a direct connection but to the same ends, 10 - 11Mbps also tried on the PS3 and that gave me the same. ...

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Aug-13 12:12:21
Print Post

Well I'm out of ideas now, from what I can see its not a hardware or line quality issue, would it be possible I've got some kind of "stuck" profile at the sky end? I think its a bit suspicious that I'm constantly getting exactly 10Mbps.... now....

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Aug-13 15:08:40
Print Post

Just got off the phone to tech support, there is an issue with the exchange equipment apparently, going to have a call back from the repairs team on Monday...

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Aug-13 15:19:21
Print Post

The speed test does not show you getting exactly 10 Mbps

Sky LLU does not have IP profiles or caps. You should be able to get the sync speed you see once protocol overheads are taken into account.

If there is contention (and your tbb speed test shows possible evidence for this) or something else is mucking about with connection e.g. lots of errors then you can get lower speeds.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Aug-13 16:49:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by madmart:
Well I'm out of ideas now, from what I can see its not a hardware or line quality issue, would it be possible I've got some kind of "stuck" profile at the sky end? I think its a bit suspicious that I'm constantly getting exactly 10Mbps.... now....
Sky don't have profiles. Have you tried resetting the Sky router and quickly (just to rule it out) test on another machine plugged in with ethernet. Which router do you have, I had an old netgear dg934g and it was failing giving me only 5Mbps and sometimes the wireless dropping signal substantially every now and then... A router replacement solved that.

If you're not using the Sky router, give it a go. Sometimes when it authenticates via MER I have found speeds much better vs using PPOA via my own router. No idea why that would be or if it's just coincidence that when I switch router I get a new & perhaps better IP?

It does sound like it's likely to be congestion (which is rare). In areas where this does occur it usually takes sky a month or two to get the backhaul upgraded at the exchange.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 09-Aug-13 16:51:29)

Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Aug-13 12:31:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

Tech support have closed the call saying there is no fault or issues, my line is in great condition and nothing is showing at the exchange...

I've tried disabling wireless and just had one device plugged directly into the router and still see similar speeds, I've also tried booting from a mint live cd and see the same there as well...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

I set up a BQM this morning as well:-

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/595ee66bdd1...

The latency is probably me using the line, overall though I dont think it looks too bad...

Any more ideas, not too sure what else I can trouble shoot.....

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-Aug-13 12:37:24
Print Post

When single thread is variable and slower than the HTTPx6 test an inference is congestion somewhere, by not using wireless you've ruled that out.

It may be there is some contention taking place at the exchange, but not to the level that Sky consider it an issue.

On BQM the key is to know for sure you have not used the connection for a few hours and see how it behaves then. You do some errors in the previous stats you posted, so keep an eye and see how fast those accumulate over time.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to