User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Sat 10-Aug-13 14:01:33
Print Post

Sky Fibre Downgrade

[link to this post]

I've recently had Fibre installed after previously being on the Sky BB Unlimited package.

Due to the limited increase in sync, I have decided to downgrade and return to the original Sky BB Unlimited package.

My question is;

If I downgrade, will Sky just cap the line rate or will they arrange for an engineer to visit the cab and re-jumper the line?

Many thanks in advance...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Aug-13 14:53:53
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre Downgrade

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

They won't cap your speed, but will actually migrate you back to their ADSL2+ services.
Fibre costs them around £7 to £8 extra a month, so no way they will leave you on the fibre.

So a re-jumper, and the most recent Sky person to do this we have seen on the forums has been having issues, i.e. no broadband for a few days, i.e. going back is rare so more prone to mistakes

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(experienced) Sat 10-Aug-13 15:00:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've got Sky's Executive Office calling me in Monday, I'll discuss my options with them and see what they recommend.... I'll keep you updated if I migrate back...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Aug-13 15:06:18
Print Post

If anyone can get this through correctly, or at least with the necessary compensation if it goes wrong it's the executive office. I have had some fantastic dealings with this team and honestly they restored my faith in Sky during some issues a few years back. Fibre can be a disappointment although you should be getting around the estimated speed during sign up?
(experienced) Mon 12-Aug-13 14:39:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sky today have agreed to apply a promotion on regards my Fibre, 12 months at half price with Free activation....

Saves all the hassle of downgrading...
Standard User Gari
(experienced) Mon 12-Aug-13 23:30:48
Print Post

Out of interest, what was your sync speed / line stats on ADSL before you had fibre?
(experienced) Mon 19-Aug-13 18:44:10
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre Downgrade *DELETED*

[re: Gari] [link to this post]

Post deleted by shaneosborne
(experienced) Mon 19-Aug-13 18:48:52
Print Post

[re: Gari] [link to this post]

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, my sync rate on the standard Sky Broadband Unlimited product was;

--------------------------------Downstream-----------Upstream

Connection Speed-------------18012 kbps----------1212 kbps
Line Attenuation-------------------23.5 dB-------------14.0 dB
Noise Margin------------------------6.5 dB-------------- 9.9 dB

If I hadn't of received the discount given by the Executive Team (6 months half Price Extended to 12 months) then I would have downgraded.

Sky really didn't want me to downgrade for some reason, perhaps it's the cost(s) involved but I was within my rights to revert back to the previous product...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Aug-13 19:06:20
Print Post

Reluctance would have been the 12 month contract they signed with Openreach, but they might be able to negotiate out of that based on performance

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Gari
(experienced) Wed 21-Aug-13 18:06:33
Print Post

Thanks for the info.

The reason I asked was that you'd said that you saw little increase in sync speed after moving to fibre and I would probably be in the same situation if/when this area gets fibred (it should as part of the Welsh Government contract)

The cabinet is a long way away, in the next town (at least 2+km of aerial spans to it) and I think I would be too far away to see any decent speed increase.

Current stats on ADSL2+ are :
DS sync: 4802
DS att: 52dB
Margin: 8.4dB
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to