User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jutsenberg
(newbie) Mon 12-Aug-13 21:48:56
Print Post

Exeter Fibre mystery?

[link to this post]

Just signed up to Sky package inc fibre optic deal.

However, when I run the online postcode checkers as to whether i can get fibre optic i get a big no: ex4 postcode in Exeter. However, Sky have assured me that I can get fibre at my postcode, but post CC details being given was then told that I may not be able to get fibre, but it will be 'confirmed' prior to engineer visit etc.

I know dont know what to think. I think the sales guy was genuine and wasnt trying to pull a fast one i.e. fibre to sucker me into a sale, but is this normal?
Standard User Housey1
(regular) Tue 13-Aug-13 01:12:24
Print Post

Re: Exeter Fibre mystery?

[re: jutsenberg] [link to this post]

Try a full address check usually more accurate on bt wholesale adsl checker.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Aug-13 07:52:10
Print Post

Try with phone number and post code. If you PM me your post code I can look around too.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Aug-13 11:31:41
Print Post

The area you live in does have fibre optic services. The area has been upgraded to FTTC.
What is fibre to the cabinet.
Basically fibre runs to the local green cabinet, usually at the bottom of your street or around the corner or fairly close by. From here copper runs to your house. By making the amount of copper minimal you get fast speeds.
FTTC is only available to houses where their line goes via the local green cabinet.

Here is your problem...
At the postcode where you live around 90% of properties do not go via a local green cabinet. 90% go directly to the local telephone exchange... So the cable goes directly to the telephone exchange bypassing a cabinet. These are called exchange only lines.

The other 10% go via cabinets. So in your post code there's around a 10% chance that your line goes via the local green cabinet. If it does you will get fibre.

The fibre upgrade has taken place here. Those who are on exchange only lines will not see fibre in the current roll out plans. There are some trials taking place to get fibre on exchange only lines but it's nothing wide scale yet.

If you can send me your house number and if you're comfortable with it your phone number (assuming it's with BT) I can try and dig deeper into seeing if you're one of the lucky few that can get fibre in this post code. Perhaps Sky are unsure too.
Standard User jutsenberg
(newbie) Tue 13-Aug-13 11:47:29
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks. Hugely helpful! PM sent with further details.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Aug-13 12:16:09
Print Post

As far as I can tell you do not appear to be on a line which goes via a fibre optic cabinet. Phone numbers give the best indication and your phone number shows no signs of FTTC being available.
There are a few lines, mainly near property number 1 which appear to go via a cabinet.
I don't see you personally getting fibre.

However in areas like this there's always a chance that the line does actually go via a cabinet, largely because BTs database isn't always 100% accurate.

I would proceed with this and see what happens. Based on what I can see though it's not available. It looks available to number 1 and a few others.

Perhaps Sky has just ran a post code check which shows fibres enabled in your area. Sadly your lines looking to be exchange only. You can get around 2 - 3Mbps so this is probably pretty poor news I bet especially since you got your hopes up.

You never know though Sky might know something about your line that I'm not seeing. Perhaps it's one of the few to go via a cabinet and it's just logged incorrectly. I highly doubt that you will see fibre services though for now.
Standard User jutsenberg
(newbie) Tue 13-Aug-13 12:17:42
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

It's a shame, but very helpful and thanks for the feedback! Appreciate it!
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Aug-13 12:21:02
Print Post

Don't take my findings as 100%. Give Sky a chance but don't be surprised if/when they say actually you can't get fibre. You could use this to surely get discounted ADSL though.
Standard User chrigurndevon
(learned) Tue 13-Aug-13 13:31:31
Print Post

Well if you're unlucky and can't get fibre, you're not alone in Exeter which seems to have several islands of adsl- only connectivity in an otherwise FTTC/P enabled City. See this thread for more,
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Aug-13 13:40:29
Print Post

[re: chrigurndevon] [link to this post]

As do almost every other UK city

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to