User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jutsenberg
(newbie) Mon 02-Sep-13 17:10:13
Print Post

Sky Broadband problems?

[link to this post]

Was due to have a Sky fibre optic and phone line install on 29th August. Waited in all day, no show.

I then spent most of the weekend paying 20 a min via my mobile to be told that my order had been rejected. They have now passed this to the 'Sky recovery' team, who were supposed to call today to let me know what's happening but again, no call etc.

ATM I feel very much in the dark.

To add to the mystery, my phone line has a dial tone, although it's impossible to call out. The previous owner closed his Orange landline account down on the 22nd, and Sky assure me that they have not enabled my landline at all...confused all round and rather frustrated.

Two questions: 1) anybody have any clue as to why i'd have a dial tone when nobody has set up an account here 2) any other experiences with Sky recovery etc? Shall I just ditch Sky and go with the dreaded BT?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 02-Sep-13 17:14:55
Print Post

Re: Sky Broadband problems?

[re: jutsenberg] [link to this post]

1. Dialtone may still be present, as probably still connected to the hardware at the exchange. Does 17070 give you any options

2. Going elsewhere at this stage tends to cause just as many problems, as half finished orders can cause delays again, i.e. might compound things.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jutsenberg
(newbie) Mon 02-Sep-13 17:20:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

just tried 17070 and it gave me a range of options inc the welcome message that gave a phone number of what I presumed was the old owners LL number but upon checking wasnt. Anything I can do via 17070 to 'cleanse' this line as the Sky rep I spoke to today mentioned that it may be the presence of the dial signal etc that caused the order to 'fail'?!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Sep-13 18:05:39
Print Post

When I came back to Sky after moving I was given someone elses number whilst they were still connected (they were migrating to VM)

So I could make calls but couldn't receive them - as the other people were still getting them.

I told Sky who told me to wait for them to migrate. No concerns that I could make calls on their line and therefore their bill.

If your on Sky doing 17070 gives you an american woman for the IVR. If it's BT then the womans voice is unmistakable unless it's changed recently..

Best not to try and move like Andrew says - could cause futher delay.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Sep-13 18:08:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by jutsenberg:
the welcome message that gave a phone number of what I presumed was the old owners LL number
Can you ring in on this # from your mobile?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User jutsenberg
(learned) Mon 02-Sep-13 19:03:06
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

thanks. cant call out or call that number either. I guess it's a case of waiting for this mythical recovery team to get into contact...?
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Sep-13 20:00:43
Print Post

sounds like the line is just deactivated and not ceased.

When they put you on fibre I would assume they would re activate the line and then activate you on teh NGA to give you the fibre.

I don't really know how it works fibre wise but I am assuming one line goes to your cab for phone the other to the NGA for broadband. I don't think the NGA (the fibre cab) does the phone too. Infact I am sure it dosent

But I would say chase them too - nothing says you have to wait - a call every few days should do but I would hope you would hear from them sooner.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 02-Sep-13 20:03:17
Print Post

One phone line but with the vdsl injected at the cabinet in the street

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jutsenberg
(learned) Mon 02-Sep-13 21:02:18
Print Post

Thanks!
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Sep-13 23:40:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
One phone line but with the vdsl injected at the cabinet in the street

Fair play - thanks for the clarification. I thought it was a case of line goes somewhere BB goes another. I guess in the same way if someone has BT based landline and LLU internet.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to