User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MikeL
(member) Wed 02-Oct-13 21:46:11
Print Post

Test socket not working?

[link to this post]

I've been having some trouble with my line, its making some crackling noises and not really sure what's wrong (internet barely connects all day but when it gets dark it works, albeit slower) so I thought I would try the test socket as Sky will get me to do it anyway.

I have a filtered faceplate on the master socket, so I just plug the modem cable into the faceplate. So I took it off and used a micro filter and plugged the modem cable into it and that into the test socket. Phone then says Check phone line and there's no dial tone. Eventually think perhaps I need to put another micro filter on the extension socket too, so I put one on it but nothing changes.

So I don't know what's happening? is it to do with my fault? Or is something else wrong? So I need a converter for my modem cable to take it from the small square connection to the larger rectangle connection so it fits in the test socket?
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Oct-13 23:15:09
Print Post

Re: Test socket not working?

[re: MikeL] [link to this post]

Possibly a fault but the test socket is the responsibility of Sky and Bt Openreach.

They ask you to do that to rule out any and all equipment and wiring in your house. So you know this is something that will be fixed for free. Get a fault raised with them

"
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Oct-13 23:27:08
Print Post

How sure are you that the line comes into the house behind this socket?

The wiring may be odd. Has the test socket ever working.

On adaptor for adsl a microfilter is beat bet. The sky modem should have had one with it

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 02-Oct-13 23:56:12
Print Post

When you remove the faceplate it disconnects the phone. This is correct.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Thu 03-Oct-13 07:14:22
Print Post

Presuming the "filtered faceplate" has two sockets, one for "Phone" and the other for "Modem", do you normally have two cables plugged in to it?

If "Yes", then when you remove the "filtered faceplate", replacing it with a "micro filter" straight in to the now-exposed Test Socket, did you plug BOTH cables in to the corresponding sockets in that "micro-filter"?

If you plugged only the "modem" cable in to the "micro-filter", you have not connected the phone side.

I don't know the full ins and outs of the SKY arrangements; but have you tried the "Quiet Line" Test, plugging preferably the simplest CORDED phone directly into the Test Socket, and ringing 17070, Option 2; and retrying with a micro-filter plugged in to the Test Socket, and that phone plugged in to the micro-filter Phone Socket?

Particularly if you hear noise on the second of those tests, you should report it to SKY if your phone line rental is "bundled" with SKY, otherwise to your phone-line provider.

The noise can be "snap, crackle and pop", humming, intermittent, continuous, tones etc - anything but "QUIET".

--------------------------------

"So I need a converter for my modem cable to take it from the small square connection to the larger rectangle connection so it fits in the test socket?"

The micro-filter does that for you.

The filtered faceplate is simply a dimensionally larger and differently shaped micro-filter, carrying out exactly the same functions as your plug-in micro-filter.
Standard User MikeL
(member) Thu 03-Oct-13 07:20:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Pretty sure it is the main socket, the other extension socket is just a small socket. I think the test socket has worked before yes.

I seem to remember before we got the filtered faceplate (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150599757148) it would need 2 micro filters plugged in, one on the extension socket too (we have the phone connected to that one) with the main socket we just have the router plugged in. So I tried putting the 2nd micro filter on the extension socket but no change. Both micro filters came with Sky modem.

One strange thing is last night it stopped connecting about 11:05 which is around the time it stopped connecting the night before too, it only starts connecting around 7 (not sure exactly)

Our broadband has always disconnected when it rains too, don't know if that is related.

Is there any type of interference that can affect a broadband connection (not wireless signal, I tried turning it off as I connect wired but made no difference)

On a side note if I ordered fibre would they send an engineer to connect it up (so they could fix phone line too!)

First time I rang Sky he did a line check and he said it looks OK but could see from router logs something was wrong. He wanted me to do the test socket thing then but I didn't have the micro filters on hand.

Second time I rang Sky I had tried connecting it to the test socket before I rang, it wasn't working but rang them anyway, gave them my mobile number to ring me back so she could do another line check but giffgaff (mobile network) was down! so had to cancel it

Third time lucky. Is there anyway you can be put through to an engineer quickly rather than the phone support?
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Oct-13 12:27:18
Print Post

As ekiedoo says, just connect a corded phone to the test socket and nothing else.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User MikeL
(member) Thu 03-Oct-13 14:30:38
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

OK did a bit more investigating. Yeah the filtered faceplate has a modem and phone socket, just the modem is connected to it. Then the telephone plugs into an extension (nothing we did ourselves must have been put in by BT sometime in the past) in another room. Normally we just plug the phone straight into the extension, no micro filter.

I got my corded phone out and had modem plugged into the micro filter and then plugged the corded phone into the same micro filter. I got a dial tone but still crackling. So then I disconnected the phone in the other room from the extension socket and it still had crackling.

I rang up the 17070 number it thinks its fine, was 3.5-3.8, was about 4.2 first time but might of been due to background noise. Rang it multiple times (hope it doesn't cost!) with and without micro filter and with and without other phone connected in other room. Some times it was better than others but always made the crackling, the robot always said the line was OK though, even when I heard crackling.

Then I tested my corded phone in the extension socket and theres no dial tone, with and without the micro filter on the main socket. Yet there is a dialtone when the faceplate is back in place (maybe the faceplate has wiring for the extension?)
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Thu 03-Oct-13 16:00:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by MikeL:
Yet there is a dialtone when the faceplate is back in place (maybe the faceplate has wiring for the extension?)

The wiring to the extension "should" be run from the faceplate so when the faceplate is removed from the master socket the wiring to the extension is disconnect. It is this wiring which means that an extension does not require a filter.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User MikeL
(member) Thu 03-Oct-13 16:41:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Rang up sky again, they ran another line test, this time he did say there were problems with the line, got me to remove faceplate and everything from sockets, came back the same so he booked an engineer for tomorrow!

Thinking back I think something like this happened before but it resolved itself, I think we had an engineer booked that time (but was for the next week or something) too but for some reason they thought we had cancelled it, but we never did.

Just hope it can be fixed! Hope they can fix the disconnects when it rains too!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to