User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mattewan
(regular) Thu 10-Oct-13 20:16:39
Print Post

Sky IP started changing

[link to this post]

Hey everyone,

I currently have sky adsl2 which has been installed for about 4 months (recently moved to a new house).

For the first 3 months, the ip address I had was the same. However, just recently it has started changing every day. I know that I don't have a static IP so it could change often but has anyone else noticed that their ip address has started changing frequently?

My connection drops about 3 times a day and has every since I moved in and I have no interest in trying to get it fixed. My openreach experience has always been negative - not had a single issue fixed... ever. I'm guessing that because my connection is dropping, I'm getting a new ip on each reconnection. However for the first 3 months disconnections never use to change my ip.

My router is turned on at all times.

Anyone else having similar experiences?

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Oct-13 20:29:40
Print Post

Re: Sky IP started changing

[re: mattewan] [link to this post]

Likely you have changed from MER (sticky IP) to PPPoA (fully dynamic).

No way around the changing IP address issue other than fixing the fault and getting a decent uptime going.

Oliver.
Standard User mattewan
(regular) Fri 11-Oct-13 10:35:01
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Hi Oliver.

Thanks.... I didn't realise that there were two different dynamic ip systems in place. I have always had the same IP upon reconnecting with every isp i have ever had, unless i left the router/modem disconnected for a period of time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Oct-13 10:41:36
Print Post

[re: mattewan] [link to this post]

Sky have been transition ADSL customers from MER to PPPoA for a long while now. VDSL customers all use the "sticky" MER system.

Oliver.
Standard User clivem
(newbie) Fri 11-Oct-13 13:44:16
Print Post

Hmmm. Not sure I'd call the 1hr lease I get from Sky Fibre "sticky". Virgin's (120/12) 7 day lease is "sticky".

MER.... that's sending option 60, client id, with the dhcp request, right?
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Oct-13 13:52:37
Print Post

[re: clivem] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by clivem:
Hmmm. Not sure I'd call the 1hr lease I get from Sky Fibre "sticky". Virgin's (120/12) 7 day lease is "sticky".

It's not the length of the lease that's important, but whether the same IP address is issued each time a lease expires (which in Sky's case, it usually is).

MER.... that's sending option 60, client id, with the dhcp request, right?

DHCP option 61 I think.

Oliver.
Standard User clivem
(newbie) Fri 11-Oct-13 14:30:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
It's not the length of the lease that's important, but whether the same IP address is issued each time a lease expires (which in Sky's case, it usually is).

Even on that basis I wouldn't call it sticky, every single time I've let the 1 hour lease lapse, (even by 5 seconds), without renewing before expiry time, I've been allocated a new IP address. Not once have I been re-allocated the same IP address.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Oct-13 14:38:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
DHCP option 61 I think.
According to some online documentation, option 61 is used for the authentication details. Option 60 is used for the Sky router version and other information, but this is documented as not necessarily required.

Standard User clivem
(newbie) Fri 11-Oct-13 14:50:34
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
According to some online documentation, option 61 is used for the authentication details. Option 60 is used for the Sky router version and other information, but this is documented as not necessarily required.

Option 61 == client Id. (My bad.) That's needs to be populated to get an IP. Option 60, (Vendor Id), which the SR101 does populate, definitely isn't required to be populated to obtain an IP when using a 3rd party router.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Oct-13 19:07:08
Print Post

[re: clivem] [link to this post]

Even on that basis I wouldn't call it sticky, every single time I've let the 1 hour lease lapse, (even by 5 seconds), without renewing before expiry time, I've been allocated a new IP address. Not once have I been re-allocated the same IP address.

It must have changed then. In the year that my Sky ADSL connection had MER I had the same IP address all the time, despite various lease expiries.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to