User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 03-Nov-13 15:15:45
Print Post

Sky D-Link ADSL2+ router

[link to this post]

Please could someone give be the default username and password for the router. I'm trying to help a friend who is getting 320kbps where he should get 4-5Mbps. so I want to see the stats.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.2/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 03-Nov-13 15:18:06
Print Post

Re: Sky D-Link ADSL2+ router

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

admin / sky

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 03-Nov-13 15:58:58
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Brilliant - thanks smile.

We have 382kbps sync on 55dB attenuation on Sky LLU frown

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 03-Nov-13 16:01:01
Print Post

Is the SNRM at target?

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 03-Nov-13 16:41:14
Print Post

I'm back home now, with a screen shot to print out of the stats.

As I wasn't able to get to the stats before asking here, we simply tried the test socket in the bedroom. No internet! Three wires to the faceplate, T2 orange/white, T5 white/orange, T3 green. Wires OK but obviously not the master.

Turns out there is another socket behind a cupboard in the hall. Another master. Tried that, tbb speed test still in the 300kbps area.

Opened up, tried the test socket, works but no change to speed. But! Faceplate wires T2 blue, T5 brown. Ouch! What the heck, in polite terms. (Old style cable?) Test socket gives us the same tbb speed, and then with your help I got the stats.

We find a corner of the add-on front porch with a jumble of wires and small junction/join boxes. All as it was when they moved in 2-3 years ago. They had never had broadband in this area so didn't realise there was anything wrong frown. Just thought it was poor here.

I'm going to print the screen shot of his stats and also the attenuation/speed graph. Which I think I have downloaded somewhere as the link on my site now hits a completely revised website frown. He's going to get Sky to call out OR to sort the wiring, and we hope there isn't a charge as it is star wiring before the master. Tea/coffee and biscuits required, as it's obviously a DIY job by someone. He'll pay if he has to.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 03-Nov-13 17:21:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Is the SNRM at target?
Good point! I was ignoring the margin for some daft reason.

It's showing 10.8dB on the screenshot, but I'll swear it was at 17dB when I first got in. The tbb speed test graphs were very jagged as well.

How do Sky handle noise margin?

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Nov-13 18:29:53
Print Post

Sky set a sync speed target usually. So it's likely he reconnects at the same speed every single time with a varying noise margin. If the noise margin goes below 12, 9, 7 or 3db (depending which one it's set too) then the sync falls too.

An example is DLM runs
It sets your line at 3Mbps
It sets a noise margin of 3db lets say
Everytime you reboot the router it sync at 3Mbps UNLESS the noise margin would go below 3db at that sync
So say you reboot router at 10am, it syncs at 3Mbps and a NM of 5db, that's fine
Reboot at 6pm, it sync at 3Mbps with a noise margin of 8db, that's fine
Reboot another time, at this time lets say a sync of 3Mbps would mean a 2db noise margin, so it now sync at whatever speed a 3db noise margin would give. So prob around 2.5Mbps.

So with the Sky system you won't see an immediate jump in sync speed by moving from a poor extension to a test socket. Sync will stay the same, SNR will increase, eventually say in a week or 2 DLM reruns and then sync goes up.

You also find that 99% of times the sync stays very similar between reboots.

It's likely they're fixed at 0.3Mbps right now.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 03-Nov-13 18:31:04)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 03-Nov-13 19:17:06
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Ah smile. Thanks. That makes a lot of sense from what I observed.

The wiring clearly needs sorting anyway. Leaving it in the test socket is not an option, as it is in the hall with no power supply. For testing we had an extension lead from a utility room and through the kitchen. Not practicable with two kids under 7 running around.

I think best is as discussed with him. Get OR, via Sky of course, in to sort out the wiring and make the upstairs socket the master. Extensions are not needed as they now have a DECT phone.

Can Sky be contacted immediately after that to reset the DLM? It would seem daft to wait for a periodic re-evaluation by DLM.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Nov-13 19:20:49
Print Post

Yep Sky can get get DLM to run on demand if requested. It's best if DLM runs over Sky customising it themselves as DLM can set a 3db noise margin and a faster upload to what Sky customer services can... DLM should act quicker if the line drastically improves.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 03-Nov-13 19:33:53
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

OK, I'll probably recommend the "leave it be" approach.

But if you do get it reset manually, I assume the auto check still kicks in as normal? In this case a 6dB margin, or even 9dB, is going to give something upward of 4Mbps sync. That is so vast an improvement they wouldn't care.

Also it is possible 3dB would not be sustainable. Mine normally varied by 3.5dB over 24 hours and he is three doors away. Though off a different pole, probably fed by a different route from the same cabinet, so not necessarily affected similarly.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to