User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Nov-13 19:23:29
Print Post

O2 Wireless Box working on Sky

[link to this post]

Looks like the Sky network is accepting the O2 Wireless Box as a compatible router. Not sure if any of the automatic migrations have completed yet, but it's good news for those who are going that route.

O2_ADSL
Connection Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:02:53
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 272.61 / 2.74
Username: install@o2broadband.co.uk
Password: ********
Remember Password: Yes
IP Address: 46.64.176.xx
Primary DNS: 90.207.238.97
Secondary DNS: 90.207.238.99

Oliver.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Nov-13 20:53:52
Print Post

Re: O2 Wireless Box working on Sky

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Looks like the Sky network is accepting the O2 Wireless Box as a compatible router. Not sure if any of the automatic migrations have completed yet, but it's good news for those who are going that route.

Can you tell if its using PPPoA or IPoA ? I assume as you posted a capture that included a username that its using the PPP login. If so I guess Sky are allowing PPP on their LLU lines at last.

This would be a breakthrough for alternative router users; but might be a performance disadvantage, and can limit the MTU available.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest

Edited by jchamier (Thu 21-Nov-13 20:54:15)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Nov-13 22:34:50
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Can you tell if its using PPPoA or IPoA ? I assume as you posted a capture that included a username that its using the PPP login.

It's PPPoA, same PPPoA login as O2 Access used on O2 WBC connections.

If so I guess Sky are allowing PPP on their LLU lines at last. This would be a breakthrough for alternative router users; but might be a performance disadvantage, and can limit the MTU available.

MER was used on ADSL2+ lines for a while, and seemed to run concurrently in most cases with PPPoA. So PPPoA on Sky has been the norm over the years despite the brief foray into MER.

There's no MTU disadvantage on PPPoA, it's PPPoE which loses MTU.

Fibre is always MER.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Nov-13 22:48:19
Print Post

Can you tell if its using PPPoA or IPoA ? I assume as you posted a capture that included a username that its using the PPP login.

It's PPPoA, same PPPoA login as O2 Access used on O2 WBC connections.

Ah-ha, that makes sense and means the router can be used without any firmware changes. It won't be as easy for the BE routers though.

MER was used on ADSL2+ lines for a while, and seemed to run concurrently in most cases with PPPoA. So PPPoA on Sky has been the norm over the years despite the brief foray into MER.

There's no MTU disadvantage on PPPoA, it's PPPoE which loses MTU.

Good point, I'd forgotten that, having been away from PPPoA for a long time. Yes the BT HH router can do the necessary magic to get 1500byte MTU through PPPoE but most third party routers don't.

Fibre is always MER.

Okay - my friend was MER on his Sky LLU ADSL, and I think he still is, but I'll check this weekend.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Nov-13 23:01:32
Print Post

It won't be as easy for the BE routers though.

This ties in nicely with the news from the BE forum that BE routers are having the O2 PPPoA login remotely added to their BE routers.

Okay - my friend was MER on his Sky LLU ADSL, and I think he still is, but I'll check this weekend.

My exchange/area migrated Sky ADSL LLU from MER back to PPPoA a long time ago (although PPPoA worked throughout). It's possible not all exchanges are migrated yet though.

Oliver.
Standard User fabyon
(committed) Fri 22-Nov-13 02:47:09
Print Post

Nice to know, I've kept my o2 router just in case this would happen, so I can use it as backup if my skybox were to fail. Thanks ! laugh

Sky Broadband
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Nov-13 06:58:09
Print Post

It won't be as easy for the BE routers though.

This ties in nicely with the news from the BE forum that BE routers are having the O2 PPPoA login remotely added to their BE routers.

Okay, hopefully they'll publish the info before cutover for those who don't use the BE router.

My exchange/area migrated Sky ADSL LLU from MER back to PPPoA a long time ago (although PPPoA worked throughout). It's possible not all exchanges are migrated yet though.

I suspect that is the case here.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Nov-13 13:13:07
Print Post

On investigating further, it looks like the user/pass details for O2 PPPoA (which also works on Sky) are:

User: install@o2broadband.co.uk
Pass: install

This could be used by O2/BE migrants using their own router, and in fact could probably be used by anyone on Sky wanting to use their own router.

Oliver.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Nov-13 18:16:50
Print Post

On investigating further, it looks like the user/pass details for O2 PPPoA (which also works on Sky) are:

User: install@o2broadband.co.uk
Pass: install

This could be used by O2/BE migrants using their own router, and in fact could probably be used by anyone on Sky wanting to use their own router.

Useful to know!

Standard User dsergeant
(member) Mon 25-Nov-13 11:49:26
Print Post

Well it seems sometime during the night I was moved over to Sky as part of the automatic transfers. I had been told it would be Nov/Dec but had no further information as to when. Wireless Box 2 seems to be working fine logged in with the PPP connection. My username has a number in front of the o2broadband.co.uk bit instead of 'install'. So migrations are now happening...

Since I have had no update from Sky I have not been supplied with any login information for the MySky page, hopefully that will arrive soon.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to