User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MikeL
(member) Wed 27-Nov-13 14:07:59
Print Post

Need more all bran (dissapointed with fibre connection)

[link to this post]

Just had fibre connected, pretty disappointed with the results. We were getting 4.9mbps and now getting 7.2mbps on fibre. Upstream is now 628kbps and used to be 600 I believe. Should I wait a while and see if it goes up or ring up to complain? I thought I heard there was a 15mbps minimum with fibre?

Thanks
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Nov-13 14:22:10
Print Post

Re: Need more all bran (disappointed with fibre connection)

[re: MikeL] [link to this post]

What was your estimate for FTTC when you signed up? What is BTw's estimate?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User MikeL
(member) Wed 27-Nov-13 15:09:09
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi

It said 15.6 - 15.6 mpbs on the sky page. The engineer mentioned something about 15.3mbps too. We said it was only 7.7mbps and he said something like oh well that's all good then.

I turned the router off when he went and it messed up, it was connecting via wired but wireless was not being broadcast, I tried to log in via my wired computer and it wouldn't load the webpage, so I did a full 50 second reset of router, changed all the settings back and now its only 7.2mbps lol. Ping is around 10-15 though which is better.

Is it possible to cancel now or has the 12 month contract started? Seems hardly worth it for around 2.5mbps upgrade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MikeL
(member) Wed 27-Nov-13 15:09:39
Print Post

I'll give sky a ring first though see if they can do anything
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Nov-13 15:52:50
Print Post

Have you tested a wired connection? Disconnect from the WiFi, then connect via wired. Run a speedest. Is this as bad?
Standard User MikeL
(member) Wed 27-Nov-13 17:13:51
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Yeah they are wired tests. I'm checking the status on the router page, its showing as nearly 7.3mbps, speedtests I get about 6.9mbps, wired or wireless.

Just rang up sky, he did a line check and found nothing wrong, he said just wait up to two weeks then it should get up to 15.6mbps.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Nov-13 18:41:10
Print Post

confused
In reply to a post by MikeL:
I'm checking the status on the router page
You sure you are not on ADSL? Fibre does not show speeds in the router. Or do you mean you have an unlocked fibre modem?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User MikeL
(member) Wed 27-Nov-13 20:48:15
Print Post

I have the SR101 sky router. The BTO engineer came today and fitted a BTO unit that connects to the router.

I noticed in the log it no longer says what it connects at, but I can see it in the status page. Although things like line noise and attenuation are now gone.

Its now connected by MER, has a difference IP address range and my ping is a lot lower so yeah I think it is fibre smile

pic
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Nov-13 22:23:02
Print Post

I noticed in the log it no longer says what it connects at, but I can see it in the status page. Although things like line noise and attenuation are now gone.

You know you have to reboot the router (not the BTO modem) for it to update the connection speed.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Nov-13 23:16:08
Print Post

All-bran gone AWOL (Ecstatic with ADSL connection)

The BTO engineer came today and fitted a BTO unit that connects to the router.
So from when you started this thread until then you were on ADSL and your reported speeds accordingly. You can't get fibre w/out a fibre modem (fitted today),

What a hoo-ha!

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 27-Nov-13 23:19:13)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to