User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Enceladus
(member) Fri 29-Nov-13 19:35:12
Print Post

Sky line rental increase - O2 transferred customers

[link to this post]

I was an (happy) O2 broadband customer. I took up the Sky transfer offer with the free TV for a year etc.

Now I find that Sky have increased the line rental to £15:40 from :£14:50. They never notified me. So far as I was concerned the prices were fixed for 12 months till July 2014.

I rang customer services today and got the run-around. "Complain to head office".

I now it's only 90p per month but can they just do that?
Can they do it again?
Surely it is a material change. Can I cancel with no penalty?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Nov-13 22:34:16
Print Post

Re: Sky line rental increase - O2 transferred customers

[re: Enceladus] [link to this post]

They should notify about price changes, doubly so if paying by Direct Debit

On whether you are in a fixed price contract, what proof do you have that it was free TV and broadband and line rental at the price you started to pay.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Enceladus
(member) Sat 30-Nov-13 17:26:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply and a good question.

I have the original offer email form Sky that was sent to O2/Be customers.

This said:
"As you may already know, your broadband service will be moving to Sky later this year. We'd like to invite you to switch sooner, with an exclusive welcome offer - brilliant Sky Broadband Unlimited and award- winning Sky TV, free for a whole year plus Sky Line Rental for just £14.50 a month. It's our best ever offer, reserved just for you available until 28 June."

So 12 months at £14:50 = £174. Plus £5pm for the anytime calls package.

I rang up and asked was the Sky line rental compulsory as I had unexpired annual prepaid BT line rental. They insisted that BT line rental was compulsory. So I asked for a MAC code. They transferred me to somebody else and I was then offered an upgraded to fibre for £17:25pm for 6 months followed by £27:25pm for 6 months. Plus £5pm for the anytime calls package IE. £267 per annum plus the calls package. So the upgrade to fibre was costing £267-£174 = £93. Or £7.75pm. So I took up the offer.

The letter I received says this about the line rental: "£7.25 for 12 months standard price, currently £14:50 thereafter."

The letter does not mention the Sky TV package at all. And the fibre broadband is incorrectly said to be £20 per month.

When I rang and queried this I was told that this was an error. That these letters were hardly ever correct and that the billing system correctly showed the broadband discounted and that the TV and box were free.

Now Sky have bumped the line rental to £15.40 a month. And discounted it by 50%. The agent I spoke to and subsequently her boss both say there is nothing they can do. The line rental increase applies to everyone. They seem to think it is all OK because they have maintained a 50% discount. Well they have but against a higher base charge.

I know it's only 90p per month, however it seems to me to be sharp practice.

All comment appreciated.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User supremetwo
(member) Sun 01-Dec-13 00:03:14
Print Post

Ask for the O2 transfer department on 0207 126 7020.

When I had a charges query, they had all the details of the agreed package.

O2 Standard April 2009 - November 2013
Now Sky Broadband Unlimited
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 01-Dec-13 00:14:27
Print Post

So it did not explicitly say the voice line rental was fixed price for 12 months....

Given there is a 50% discount in place hard to say they are being cruel and evil.
Yes they should have notified you of the price rise, Question really is whether you want to make a formal complaint.

Plenty of long term Sky customers getting no big discounts.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Enceladus
(member) Sun 01-Dec-13 18:21:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
So it did not explicitly say the voice line rental was fixed price for 12 months....

The letter that supposedly confirms the contract says: "£7.25 for 12 months standard price, currently £14:50 thereafter."

I suggest that a reasonable person would assume that means a charge of £7.25pm for 12 months. Not whatever happens to be 50% of the prevailing rate on the day?

In reply to a post by supremetwo:

When I had a charges query, they had all the details of the agreed package.

Thanks, I will try that number tomorrow.

In the meantime I have received the following email from Sky.
Dear Mr X

Customer Account Number: nnnn
I am sorry to learn of the problems you have encountered and wish to assure you the offer still exists on the account providing you a monthly discount of £ 7.70 on the Sky Talk services.
With regards to your concern, I see that the new line rental charges have increased by 90 pence from £14.50 to £15.40 every month.
After checking the account information, I can confirm that the last months bill paid for the Sky Tv services is for the amount £12.76.
For the Sky Talk Line rental and the Sky Talk Anytime package, it is £15.40 and £5 every month. After applying the discount of £ 7.70, it has reduced to £12.76.
As you are registered with MYSKY, you can access your account information online at the following link: https://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/mysky

I hope I have been able to resolve your enquiry. If not, you can click here between 07:00 am to 11:00 pm to chat with us online.
This link will expire on 09th December.

I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can reply to my email.

Kind regards
XXX
Sky Help Centre
http://www.sky.com
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 01-Dec-13 18:28:16
Print Post

So instead of getting a discount of £7.25, you are now getting a discount of £7.70? So you're getting 45p more?
smile

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Dec-13 19:55:05
Print Post

[re: supremetwo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by supremetwo:
Doubt they will be interested. That's for O2 users being (auto) transferred to Sky under their existing O2 contracts; OP chose to move to Sky under a new Sky contract.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Dec-13 20:00:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Enceladus:
The letter that supposedly confirms the contract says: "£7.25 for 12 months standard price, currently £14:50 thereafter."
Agree with your reading. The "currently" applies to the price "thereafter", not to the price in 1st 12m. Tho' the comma or lack of a paired comma does rather garble it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to