User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User blinkbonny
(learned) Tue 03-Dec-13 20:15:39
Print Post

Questions about latest Sky Fibre Hub for a newbie

[link to this post]

This new Hub looks interesting especially as I have yet to decide what to do as I'm still a o2 customer

I have a fancy for going over to a Fibre deal with a yet to be decided provider, as a newbie to all this Hub malarkey I'm still not sure about how it would be set up to allow me to continue to use my current PC location within the house
My current modem set up is in our smallest bedroom / study via a plugged in telephone extension. The main intro point faceplate is in the lounge

Now using this new Sky hub what options are available that would allow me to retain working on my PC in its current position

Would this particular Skyhub have to be connected to the main input telephone socket in lounge
Would it then require a new and separate Ethernet lead thereby dispensing with current telephone line connected modem next to the PC in the bedroom/study

I understand there are Powerline internet plugs which could dispense with the requirement for a new Ethernet cable but would I need to retain the current Modem position to work in unison with the new Hub and would there be any loss in speed.

I apologize if any of the above appear straight forward to many on this site but when it comes to Fibre I'm a novice

Regards
Bob

Edited by blinkbonny (Tue 03-Dec-13 20:50:27)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Dec-13 15:50:18
Print Post

Re: Questions about latest Sky Fibre Hub for a newbie

[re: blinkbonny] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6182-fttc-self-in...

Covers the basics. When ordering ask if it is an engineer based install and if it is make sure the Home Wiring Solution is ticked on the order by Sky, then a data extension up to 30m from the master socket will be fitted.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/ shows the faceplate they fit at the master socket, and also where you can fit your own data extension if you want.

If there is no engineer then you could carry on using the filters and wiring as you do now, but this might make the fibre service slower.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to