User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nexxus
(newbie) Mon 09-Dec-13 13:21:39
Print Post

O2 to sky min term?

[link to this post]

Hi,

Currently i'm an o2 broadband customer, so now sort of with sky, they moved the DSL last week to SKY equipment.

Now i've not had any dealings with SKY, so i've not explicitly agreed to anything (may have received the odd email from 02/SKY, but not read), but SKY seem to think I am now on a 12 month minimum term with them, is that the case and do they have any leg to stand on to enforce that, given I have not agreed anything (I think they are working on the basis that no reply to informing, that I may or may not have received, is acceptance....).

Anyway, not specifically looking to move away from them at this point, provided they don't increase the price (i've had nothing to give me an idea if anything like that will happen or not in the next 12 months).

Just prompted by BT starting to charge for something that was previously free and wanting to enter a new 12 month contract to change to the bog-standard line rental only (only use the phone line for ADSL... ) and looking at Virgin Media Broadband only, and not wanting to be tied to a 12 month contract with ether BT or SKY if decided I wanted to change one i've had a think about it.

Cheers,

Matt
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Dec-13 13:57:18
Print Post

Re: O2 to sky min term?

[re: nexxus] [link to this post]

Did you receive a letter through the post notifying you of the imminent switch to Sky?

Oliver.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Dec-13 14:10:48
Print Post

Bit daft to have received information and not to have read it.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nexxus
(newbie) Mon 09-Dec-13 14:20:45
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Did you receive a letter through the post notifying you of the imminent switch to Sky?

No idea to be honest, i've not seen anything. There has been the odd email to say "don't panic", Though anything with a SKY logo/advertising on it may well have been binned thinking it was advertising.

Matt
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Dec-13 14:38:18
Print Post

Have you let them know that you didn't open any letters? The correspondence will have informed you of any changes and given you an opt out period I believe, this is likely to have passed now nonetheless.

I think it's really only worth contesting if you intend on leaving Sky immediately, as they'll probably make a one off exception if you leave within 30 days or so, but getting here will be hassle. Otherwise I would just suck it up personally if it's all working.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Dec-13 15:50:11
Print Post

Re: O2 to sky min term? = NONE!

In reply to a post by nexxus:
SKY seem to think I am now on a 12 month minimum term with them
They shouldn't do, unless you signed up for one of their deals rather than waiting to be migrated.
You will not be subject to a minimum term for your services when we move you to Sky. However, you will be subject to a minimum term if you choose to take up one of our special offers and transfer your services over to Sky earlier than the switchover date.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Dec-13 17:19:48
Print Post

Re: O2 to sky min term? = NONE!

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Sounds like sky miss information , they caused a lot of unesscerary confusion when they shut UkOnline, advising Ukonine customers to ring their 0844 number to get a MAC code or dicuss other options as well as an 6mths free bb offer,
When customers rang sky to get their MAC codes they where often told that they were not able to generate MAC's but still gave the customer the hard sell,lol

Some of us saw straight through sky's ploy and made a point of ringing UkOnlines free 0800 support number, and in some cases we where given the MACcode whilst on the telephone as well as them e-mailing it

Knowing sky's previous MO there will be cases of customers not being told in advance re auto migration on to their llu kit as well as other stuff that won't be in the customers favour,

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 09-Dec-13 17:23:46)

Standard User Acegio
(regular) Sun 15-Dec-13 17:18:52
Print Post

You are not the only one, I have not had anything through the post and the last email from Sky was 6/5/13 re a welcome and telling me to do nothing followed by an email on the 19/5/13 re offers.

I have rung them today only to be told my O2 contract due to expire on the 30th Jan 14 is in fact a rolling month renewable contract and I should have been told !! Well no email, phone call or letter has said that.
Looking on the Sky web site it says I will be told 2 months before any migration takes place. I assume my original contract expiry date of the 30/1/14 would be a migration date and that is less than 2 months away, so looks like they failed on that too.

While on the phone I asked what offers are available and unlimited broadband inc phone rental and free w/e only calls = £15.40
Broadband only unlimited and no traffic management £5 / month for 19Mb max to 12.5Mb min data flow rates.

I would like to give Sky broadband a go but the serious lack of communication and their applied changes in the contract without 1st informing me or getting my approval is a little underhand to say the least and puts a BIG question mark over the way they run their business.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Dec-13 19:41:12
Print Post

[re: Acegio] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Acegio:
I have rung them today only to be told my O2 contract due to expire on the 30th Jan 14 is in fact a rolling month renewable contract and I should have been told !!
O2 BB contracts never expire as such! They are open-ended contracts with a min. term after which you can just give 7 days notice of termination. That's probably all he meant and you should have known that when you signed with O2 if you had bothered to read the T&Cs.

Sky have taken over that contract and are free to choose when they move you to their network. This has no connection with the ending of your min. term on the O2 contract.

Sky have not changed your O2 contract at all. They have just taken it over and thus all the obligations under it.

Should you choose to take 1 of their deals from Sky, then this O2 contract will cease to be and you will be subject to a new Sky contract.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 15-Dec-13 19:48:12)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Dec-13 20:35:49
Print Post

I read something somewhere regarding the migration to sky, even if you are in contract min term, you should be able to migrate without penalty , but you have to make sure that they are aware within the 1st month following migration, as by continuing to pay for the service they deem you to be acepting the changes ,
But either way you should not start a new 12 mth contract with sky, but your existing O2 min term will coninue as normal at the same price too,
If sky want to increase the price you currentrly pay o2 for example because they don't have their llu kit installed at your exchange then this change would leave you free to migrate penalty free to an isp of your chosing

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 15-Dec-13 20:39:46)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to