User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User eddiebelfast
(member) Tue 14-Jan-14 16:26:45
Print Post

NM question.

[link to this post]

Hi, I have been with Sky Unlimited, BB only, for 30 days after changing from O2 and would like to say so far am impressed. I thought O2 was the Bees knees but Sky appears ( so far ) to be superior.
The ten day settling in period was just as stated with an NM of 17 which went down to 2.3 and eventually after the ten days settled on or about 6. Today however, it is back down to 2.3.
Could someone please tell me why so? I thought 6 was bog standard ( O2s was ).
As an aside, I moved to Sky because of a house change that was forced upon me, (Wifes health), we where moved to a Disability Bungalow. The Bungalow is fairly old and has an old fashioned unfiltered Faceplate which is situated in the front Porch which requires an additional lead into the bedroom where the modem is situated ( approx 20 ft from faceplate). Today I was painting the Porch and had to remove the connection from the test socket. After painting I replaced the Faceplate and inserted the connection. I then ran the Sky diag page and found my Line attentuation had gone from 26 upto 54. Removed the faceplate and inserted connection back into the Test socket and Line att went back down to 26. I have read before that the faceplate connection can affect the line but I didn't think it would be so much. Speed dropped from 15 down to 2.6.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jan-14 18:55:44
Print Post

Re: NM question.

[re: eddiebelfast] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eddiebelfast:
Could someone please tell me why so? I thought 6 was bog standard ( O2s was ).

Sky work differently. You should look at your sync speed as well as your SNR margin, as Sky work on a stable speed, but O2 worked on a stable margin.

I have read before that the faceplate connection can affect the line but I didn't think it would be so much. Speed dropped from 15 down to 2.6.

By removing the faceplate you've disconnected some old wiring in the home that is causing the problem. There are probably other wires connected to the face plate?

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 14-Jan-14 21:48:55
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I suspect one of the contacts didn't make when the faceplate was inserted and the line effectively went 1 leg dis. Removing and re-inserting the faceplate made the contact again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Wed 15-Jan-14 12:10:42
Print Post

Gentlemen, thank you both for your replies , appreciated.

Because the Faceplate is situated in the Porch it has no power plug and that is why the extension is in the bedroom and also where the Sky modem/router is located. I was considering asking for it to be relocated but when I saw that my Wifes laptop (wired ) and my Wireless laptop are getting virtually the same speed I decided not to bother.
But I will ask, would it be worth having it moved?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jan-14 19:14:50
Print Post

But I will ask, would it be worth having it moved?

Maybe. You'd have to plug your router into the test socket behind the faceplate and then look at the stats on the router. The speed might take 10 to 15 days to change. (up or down).

Its good you're getting the same speed on wireless as on a wired connection, but that doesn't show if you might get more speed in total over the broadband bit - rather than the home bit.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
(member) Thu 16-Jan-14 00:29:40
Print Post

I had the connection via the Test socket from the start ( about 26 days ), it was only when I tried the faceplate connection that I got the drop in speed and the uplift in line attentuation.
Current stats :

Connection speed: 16436
line attentuation : 29.5
NM :6.0

Speed test: 13.85. ( wireless )
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Jan-14 07:28:47
Print Post

I had the connection via the Test socket from the start ( about 26 days ), it was only when I tried the faceplate connection that I got the drop in speed and the uplift in line attentuation.

A lower attenuation normally will give you more speed when the connection adjusts, as attenuation is a measure of the line length.

Print Thread

Jump to