User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jan-14 12:26:08
Print Post

Free Sky Wireless Booster offer ends early

[link to this post]

Seems like Sky underestimated how much people like free stuff.

The free Sky Wireless Booster offer has been pulled before its original end date: http://www.sky.com/shop/offers/wireless-booster/

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-Jan-14 13:00:04
Print Post

Re: Free Sky Wireless Booster offer ends early

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Working on the testing of my one today, suspect many saw them as a source of money via ebay route

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jan-14 13:35:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Working on the testing of my one today, suspect many saw them as a source of money via ebay route

One lucky person got £37 for one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390738528539

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jan-14 12:34:13
Print Post

Must say I was underwhelmed by its performance, dont know what I was expecting from a repeater but throughput was worse in the "Problem" area than it was connecting directly to the router..

IMO sky missed a trick on locking down the device to act just as an repeater, having an AP option would have benefited many, still hope is on the horizon, looks like we may get an OpernWRT package for it....

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=48201

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Jan-14 14:09:43
Print Post

[re: madmart] [link to this post]

Actually the one I've got has not given me any success yet, get to the white LED being on, and looks to be that device is connected by zero throughput.

Needs a quiet afternoon where I am not trying to do half a dozen other things.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jan-14 14:54:25
Print Post

I had no joy with using the auto config, the WPS button appears to be kaput on my router ?! However, setting up manually worked OK....

Edit:-

Just to add, it didnt like me trying to reserve an IP addy for it on the router, devices would connect to it but the traffic would go no further... I also forgot to add its MAC to the allowed list initially......

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited

Edited by madmart (Tue 28-Jan-14 14:58:37)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jan-14 15:04:33
Print Post

They also advise putting it in an area where there's no wireless signal. They say if you put it into an area with a signal already it will generate interference.

It says "Take your Wireless Booster to the room or area in your home where the black spot is, plug it into a power socket closest to your router and switch it on at the mains."

Surely putting it where there's no signal already means it's either going to
1) Get no signal, like everything else in that area (clearly the most obvious thing) OR
2) Get a signal but connect at some ridiculous speed such as 1Mbps and be almost unusable.

Surely they should be advising plugging it in where the signal is not strong but not a black spot, no?

It also says "Please note: If you move your Wireless Booster too close to your router i.e into the area where you already have Wi-Fi coverage, it will cause interference."

I don't understand how it's going to magically pick up this signal in an area with no signal currently and work well... & Sky literally make it seem like a bad thing plugging it in anywhere that currently has any WiFi signal.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 28-Jan-14 15:16:33)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Jan-14 15:34:15
Print Post

[re: madmart] [link to this post]

Bridges and repeaters often seem to be diverge from their quick setup guides, so yes not surprised that a more manual setup works.

Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jan-14 22:47:09
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Lol I was thinking the same when I read the blarb, thought I was missing something and that it was actually an AP. I have gone back to using my old hacked BT Voyager as an access point its only got g wireless but gives better performance than the sky jobbie. Be ideal if we get an OpenWrt package for it though or even stock Airties firmware

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
  Print Thread

Jump to