User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JonDav
(newbie) Sat 01-Feb-14 18:40:44
Print Post

Ascertaining speed I should be getting

[link to this post]

How can I tell if the speed I am getting with Sky FTTC is the best speed I should be getting?
Standard User silverfox
(learned) Sat 01-Feb-14 19:09:10
Print Post

Re: Ascertaining speed I should be getting

[re: JonDav] [link to this post]

What package did you sign up for? I changed from BT to Sky, was getting average 74mbs with BT, went for the 40mbs package with Sky expecting to get full download but only get on average 26mbs. Wish I never moved.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Feb-14 19:42:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by JonDav:
How can I tell if the speed I am getting with Sky FTTC is the best speed I should be getting?

On Sky LLU you can't use the BTwholesale checker, so you have to remember what speed they said you would get when you signed up.

On both the SR101 and SR102 routers you should have the speed displayed that you are connected at. It can't tell you what you might get, and if its worth upgrading from the £20 service (a max of 40/10) to the £30 Pro service (a max of 80/20).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Feb-14 22:19:34
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
On Sky LLU you can't use the BTwholesale checker
You can with the Address Checker.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User JonDav
(newbie) Sun 02-Feb-14 18:15:58
Print Post

[re: silverfox] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by silverfox:
What package did you sign up for? I changed from BT to Sky, was getting average 74mbs with BT, went for the 40mbs package with Sky expecting to get full download but only get on average 26mbs. Wish I never moved.
I was with O2 on just normal ADSL (only about 3Mbps 'cos a longish line to exchange). I already had Sky TV, plus my line rental and phone package were with Sky on a BT wholesale line. I was out of contract on TV and phone, so seeing as O2 customers got sold to Sky I figured it would be a good time to ring Sky for a deal, plus also get FTTC. I told Sky I wanted to cancel the TV and would use BT TV (Sky had just lost Champions League to BT), and also would be moving my phone package as well to BT, as well as taking FTTC from BT. So Sky gave me free line rental on phone for 12 months, £75 off my Sky TV (that turned into £105 as there was a screw up on my FTTC install date leaving me offline for a week).

Because of my line the fastest FTTC was pointless, so I went for the 40Mbps package.
Standard User JonDav
(newbie) Sun 02-Feb-14 18:24:59
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

On Sky LLU you can't use the BTwholesale checker, so you have to remember what speed they said you would get when you signed up.
I can't remember what they said.

I used the address checker as XRaySpeX suggested. I can't find image tags to post the image of what that displays into this post, so I have uploaded it to tiny pic. Link to that info is below:-

http://i62.tinypic.com/2mya81.png

On both the SR101 and SR102 routers you should have the speed displayed that you are connected at. It can't tell you what you might get, and if its worth upgrading from the £20 service (a max of 40/10) to the £30 Pro service (a max of 80/20).
Details of that info are below:-

Systems Details
Manufacturer Sky
Model SR101
Firmware Version

Modem
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 40000
UpStream Connection Speed 9996

I am only get approx. 20Mbps at present Downstream.

There was something unusual I now recall at the install. I had to set WPA/WPA2-PSK mixed mode Security Encryption to get it to connect on my PC, (was fine with default settings on my wife's PC).
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Sun 02-Feb-14 18:59:02
Print Post

Have you tried with a wired connection to your router to rule out a problem with your wifi?

xilo Fibre+ BQM
Standard User JonDav
(newbie) Sun 02-Feb-14 19:10:19
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmoorc:
Have you tried with a wired connection to your router to rule out a problem with your wifi?
Ahhhhhh, that is a good idea as it may be the antique wifi card (or possibly an antique ethernet card?) in my PC causing an issue, which is why (I think) I had to I had to set WPA/WPA2-PSK mixed mode Security Encryption to get FTTC to connect on my PC.

I disconnected the wired connection as it interfered with my VPN connection when I wanted to use it.

Edited by JonDav (Sun 02-Feb-14 19:11:33)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Feb-14 07:53:14
Print Post

I had to set WPA/WPA2-PSK mixed mode Security Encryption to get FTTC to connect on my PC.

Using mixed mode sounds like you have a very old WiFi card in your computer. That sounds as if it only does G and not N and so that explains why you are getting around 20 megabits as this is as fast as G goes.

To get higher speeds over WiFi you need N at both ends and to must use WPA2 encryption.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Feb-14 13:39:57
Print Post

I can't find image tags to post the image of what that displays into this post
You can always copy & paste that directly into your post. We don't mind the malformation that results & it saves you storing it and us following a link.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to