User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Feb-14 18:52:56
Print Post

Line Rental Saver snippet

[link to this post]

Am sure people have noticed the vanishing of line rental saver as an option on Sky.

Word is that it is going to come back but might be more a retention exercise. Only time will tell, but just wanted to share that there is a glimmer of hope for those wanting to reduce the bill a bit.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BeachBoy
(experienced) Tue 04-Feb-14 19:28:14
Print Post

Re: Line Rental Saver snippet

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Too late for me! I've already upped and migrated to BT, this was one of the reasons for leaving Sky.

Edited by BeachBoy (Tue 04-Feb-14 19:28:35)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Feb-14 19:47:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Word is that it is going to come back but might be more a retention exercise.

Isn't LRS always a retention exercise, given that it's non-refundable?

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User fabyon
(committed) Tue 04-Feb-14 22:00:38
Print Post

I'm good with mine until September then I'll ring retention and try to get them to give me another year of free broadband or half-price fibre dangling me prepaying line rental for a year. Yes , I'm a dreamer wink

Sky Broadband
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Feb-14 23:39:11
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

To some extent yes it is

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User janitor
(experienced) Wed 05-Feb-14 12:20:38
Print Post

[re: BeachBoy] [link to this post]

There was a bit about this on the unofficial sky user forum over the weekend, the rumours are it will be back in april, but time will tell, could be sooner, could be later, but i have till september for them to sort it out, if not I'm off.
Standard User CJ8
(regular) Sat 08-Feb-14 11:04:21
Print Post

[re: janitor] [link to this post]

I also read a few online reports, as mine is about to expire. It looks like their system can't handle renewals until after the old one has expired. People tried to renew when they saw advance line rental charges reappear on their bill, the agent took their payment but the system just applied it as a general payment towards the total bill rather than a new line rental saver. They probably just withdrew the option to prevent further complaints.

I vaguely recall that at one time, BT line rental saver could only be renewed after the current one had expired. Subsequently they moved LRS customers onto monthly billing to prevent them being charged for a full quarter in advance when it expired.

I hope Sky fix any system issues and bring this option back. It is the only reason I transferred my line rental to them last year. I was quite happy to continue with SMPF (Sky never tried to force me onto full MPF after they made it a requirement for new customers) but BT doesn't allow line rental saver on a second line and I already have it on my BT Infinity line.
Standard User fabyon
(committed) Sun 09-Feb-14 21:09:24
Print Post

[re: CJ8] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CJ8:
I also read a few online reports, as mine is about to expire. It looks like their system can't handle renewals until after the old one has expired. People tried to renew when they saw advance line rental charges reappear on their bill, the agent took their payment but the system just applied it as a general payment towards the total bill rather than a new line rental saver. They probably just withdrew the option to prevent further complaints......

That's exactly what happened to me and I had to babymind them through two billing cycles until it got finally fixed and put through the system properly. I don't think their operators know what they're doing most of the time even if I called the phone number that I was given to get the prepaid line rental. They also refunded me the portion of the previous bills that were charged prorata before the pre-payment kicked in.

Sky Broadband
  Print Thread

Jump to