User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Apriliamgt
(newbie) Thu 20-Feb-14 14:04:24
Print Post

sky fibre pro over wifi

[link to this post]

Can anyone help... im on sky fibre pro... getting speed test results of 59-64mb/s over ethernet. but no where near that figure on wifi.. Any help getting around 20-30meg over wifi
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Feb-14 15:51:08
Print Post

Re: sky fibre pro over wifi

[re: Apriliamgt] [link to this post]

Have you checked your device can get faster than 30 Mbps from its wireless cards? Or at the more basic level, is the device 802.11n capable and reporting a connection speed of well over 100 Mbps?

The Sky devices are not renowned for the fastest wireless speeds, but generally good coverage.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ianph
(committed) Thu 20-Feb-14 16:14:12
Print Post

wireless is never as fast as wired ethernet your getting about what i get on 802.11n on 802.11ac i can get upto 50 but thats about it

EE unlimited Fibre 76

70meg sync at 25 metres frown
Brightbox 2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apriliamgt
(newbie) Thu 20-Feb-14 16:27:44
Print Post

[re: Ianph] [link to this post]

Well i got a 300meg wireless n adaptor . Is there no way of getting that speed through wireless
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Feb-14 16:38:09
Print Post

NO

The 300 Meg, is actually 150 Meg in one direction PLUS 150 Meg in the other, and then the overheads need to be taken into account, so even with perfect set-up under 150 Mbps for downloads.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/77-sk...

Shows the sort of speeds with an SR101 that we got, i.e. 55 Mbps in the same room and believe the fibre sky hub is basically the same wireless wise.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/76-as...
Even hardware that claims 900 Mbps wireless struggles to get 113 Mbps, but does better on 5GHz with 140 Mbps in the same room.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Feb-14 18:57:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by Apriliamgt:
Well i got a 300meg wireless n adaptor . Is there no way of getting that speed through wireless

The Sky SR101 and SR102 routers are not top spec for WiFi. If you want fast WiFi then you will need to buy something else that manages 3 streams (450Mbps) at 2.4 Ghz AND also 5 Ghz. Much of the reason WiFi is slow is due to interference in the air, especially at 2.4 Ghz.

Here in my flat, I get 50 Mbps on a wired speed test. On 2.4 Ghz I can usually only get 18 or 19 Mbps even opposite the router. At 5 Ghz, I can get 50 Mbps. I have a LOT of other people around with WiFi as you'd guess in a flat, and they're all on 2.4 Ghz only.

inSSIDer or similar tools can show the issue, but sadly inSSIDer is now a paid product for Windows users. On the Mac you can get WiFi Scanner in the Mac App Store (inSSIDer for Mac is useless). There is nothing for iPhone or iPad as Apple don't allow it. On Android devices there are a few free scanners that work well. Not all devices support 5Ghz.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User Ianph
(committed) Thu 20-Feb-14 19:44:58
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

FYI,

inSSIDer is free and available on the google store

Inssider google store android

EE unlimited Fibre 76

Brightbox 2

Edited by Ianph (Thu 20-Feb-14 19:51:35)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Feb-14 19:58:23
Print Post

[re: Ianph] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ianph:
inSSIDer is free and available on the google store

"We're sorry, the requested URL was not found on this server."

But real question, is it any good?

Its not free on Windows or Mac anymore - http://www.inssider.com - its now US $20.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User Gari
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Feb-14 20:03:03
Print Post

Yes, and that's a shame, I much preferred inSSIDer to NetStumbler which I used before I found inSSIDer.
Standard User Ianph
(committed) Thu 20-Feb-14 20:33:21
Print Post

if anyone would like me to upload the .apk anywhere that's fine

EE unlimited Fibre 76

Brightbox 2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to