User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User toffee
(committed) Sun 09-Mar-14 10:48:47
Print Post

sky fibre

[link to this post]

Signed up for fibre which i received in december sky stated 31 meg for me but never been near that mark so been on at them since the install.They said work needed doing on the exchange so sat waited work got done no change.So been on at them with no joy,so i emailed the ceo with a complaint and this was pass on to the excecative support team who have been dealing with it,insince december 4 bt guys been out everything fine on wiring ect,bt plugged there machine into the master socket pulled in 41 meg said i should receive 31 meg easy.

This hasn't happened i get 20meg most times odd day i can get 22 to 24 which is still over 6 meg down.My router use to connect at 39meg dropped down to 34 meg now.Sky now saying nothing wrong with my line as the router is connecting at 34 meg so am receiving 34 meg,is this right or they taking the [censored] there now telling me to take no notice of speed check sites as the router states its receiving 34 meg.

Also tell me that the onbudsmen would side with sky as they state up to 31 meg and seen as it is over 15 meg then the onbudsmen will just throw i out,if this went below the 15 meg then sky are in the wrong.

I have another call due at 11 in the morning from sky so trying to get some info before this regarding the router stats
(legend) Sun 09-Mar-14 11:21:18
Print Post

Re: sky fibre

[re: toffee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by toffee:
Signed up for fibre which i received in december sky stated 31 meg for me but never been near that mark
i get 20meg most times odd day i can get 22 to 24
My router use to connect at 39meg dropped down to 34 meg now.Sky now saying nothing wrong with my line as the router is connecting at 34 meg so am receiving 34 meg,
is this right or they taking the [censored] there now telling me to take no notice of speed check sites as the router states its receiving 34 meg.
Yes, it's right. You're paying for up to 31 meg, which is what you're getting.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User toffee
(committed) Sun 09-Mar-14 11:25:32
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

well done speed test results with wifi turned off ect and these are the results

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3358534441

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Mar-14 11:59:16
Print Post

In "My Sky" you should find your speed estimate range. Mine says "When you purchased Sky Broadband, we estimated that the Access Line Speed for your line was between 10 and 20Mbps.". I currently get 18 meg (ADSL).

What does yours say?

Oliver.
Standard User toffee
(committed) Sun 09-Mar-14 12:29:21
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Your Sky Broadband & Speed Estimate

You have Sky Fibre Unlimited.

When you purchased Sky Broadband, we estimated that the maximum download speed for your line was 31.1Mbps - 31.1Mbps.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 09-Mar-14 12:32:30
Print Post

And to be honest it looks like the fibre is connecting at the estimated speed

What is not happening is that the throughput is hitting close to the 28 - 29 you should get, the very wiggly line is the give away in our speed test, suggesting congestion is slowing you down. Are speeds any better in the morning around breakfast time, and then get worse once all the school kids are home?

Sky may not slow you down, but other users of the service may be using it a lot and that can slow you down.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User toffee
(committed) Sun 09-Mar-14 13:20:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

seems better early on then slows down,sky just been on to me again claiming there is nothing wrong with it even tho i did a line test when they rang and i received 16-25 meg using speedtest.net.Just running speedtests now and its getting worst

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3358690277
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 09-Mar-14 14:39:00
Print Post

Diagnosis contention, usually Sky network team fix these sort of things after a few weeks by adding more capacity to the exchange backhaul or the part in the network where the congestion pinch point

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User toffee
(committed) Sun 09-Mar-14 15:20:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sky informed me weeks ago that the exchange needed updating and gave me a date for when this would be done.Two days before this I was informed this work was carried out and speeds should return after a few days,this wasn't the case speeds stayed the same this was the reason I contacted the CEO.

Now I'm not sure if this could effect my speeds but last few weeks when using the phone I can ring out get the tones ect but then it's dead at the other end,sometimes if I hang up try again this will work.I have asked around other sky users 4 of them having no problems there on normal sky internet but another fellow fibre user is having the same problem as me regarding making phone calls.So there is a fault somewhere sky said they have ran tests and it comes back clear but will look further into it.

Now there must be a fault somewhere for this to happen,would this effect my fibre speed issues i am currently having
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 09-Mar-14 17:36:19
Print Post

The Fibre connection shifts off to actual fibre optic wiring at the green street cabinet well before the Sky voice side is handled, so you can have no voice at all and still have fully working FTTC

Sounds more likely that take-up and use of the service is simply exceeding the rate at which Sky is adding capacity in your area

The voice side if voice calls are not working report as a fault to Sky

Print Thread

Jump to