User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Mar-14 10:41:07
Print Post

Strange issue with new wifi device on my network.

[link to this post]

Hey all. Have been using Sky BB LLU unlimited with an old official Sky D link router designed after there set top tv boxes only smaller for some years now. (no fiber here yet) but i get a good sync speed.
My router sync/wan uptime often breaks 600+ hours its very stable all good.

Here is problem. Ever since i got this, (which works perfectly btw)
Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player
and connected it via wifi not its Ethernet port (i have other stuff that uses wifi fine)
it has been causing my router to lose sync upto 2-4 times a day. It started within an hour of connecting that new device.

Any help or how a wifi device could make a router lose sync would be appreciated.

Blackmesa8
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 29-Mar-14 10:45:45
Print Post

Re: Strange issue with new wifi device on my network.

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

Is the router JUST losing sync or doing a total reboot?

Reboot suggests a software exception forcing a restart, i.e a bad one, and adding more devices can add load in terms of CPU and memory and cause this.

In theory if the roku is perhaps flapping around with changing its wireless speeds a lot then it might add load, I'd suggest experimenting with the roku in a position where clear access is certain. Plus trying Ethernet to see if it resolves the issue.

Also worth looking for firmware updates on the roku in case there are fixes for wireless stability.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Mar-14 10:55:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi thanks for your reply.
Roku is fully updated and it has full signal. Wifi rips through the internal walls of this place easily. Due to the position of the Roku, Ethernet would be quite difficult to setup permanently.
Interesting note my smartphone's wifi was off entire time this has been occuring. So it's had no extra wifi devices than usual due to that.

Now the first question.
I'm not 100% sure if it is losing sync or rebooting. However i believe it maybe rebooting cause the Lan uptime drops to 0 and that usually remains counting after just a wan/sync drop.

Blackmesa8

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Mar-14 12:39:45
Print Post

Never mind solved it well sort of. Turned the new device off it's still happening. Checked landline it's all hissy and crackly.
I've changed filter which has made no difference. I think i have a proper line fault on my hands.
I've contacted BT (my landline provider) since its a line fault and not a broadband fault.
Crackling phone line hissy noise in background is indicative of a line fault is it not?
New device was a coincidence it seems.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 29-Mar-14 13:19:50
Print Post

Report to voice provider if the hissing and crackle is present when all broadband hardware is disconnected from the line

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Mar-14 14:46:26
Print Post

Thanks for reply. Done already BT claim they have detected a fault at the exchange and have arranged a engineer to check it out next week. My voice line is still working just crackly my dsl is working but drops alot.

Blackmesa8
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Mar-14 16:33:06
Print Post

No need to set up permanent ethernet. Just try it to rule out any wireless issues with individual devices.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Sat 29-Mar-14 19:42:00
Print Post

Although not now necessary, as BT have acknowledged problems, you should acquaint yourself with the Quiet Line Test.

Dial 17070, select Option 2 (QLT) and listen for noises on the line.

(Option 4 if SKY)

A very low volume and frequency hum is usually acceptable.

Anything else, such as "Snap, Crackle and Pop", dialling/test tones, continuous buzzing etc is not acceptable.

This is done preferably with an older corded phone, firstly directly in to the NTE, the Network Terminating Equipment box, where the BT Land Line is terminated after entering your premises. Do NOT connect any of your internal wiring/extensions.

Try it both with an ADSL Filter present and without.

------------------------

After BT has told you the Exchange Fault has been repaired, repeat the tests.

If satisfactory, then further repeat the tests, at each extension, progressively plugging in any other phones, devices etc.

If the line is still clean, fine.

If you hear untoward noises as above, then one or more of YOUR devices is also creating noises and problems - and needs to be sorted out by yourself, as the internal wiring etc is your responsibility.

--------------------------------------------

Apart from getting back to clean ADSL Broadband, it is very good preparation for VDSL Broadband as typified by FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet).
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Mar-14 19:47:35
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

This is crazy. If i plug it in and powered up reset to factory settings (done more tests today) so it is not even connected to router. It still takes my broadband down and landline becomes so bad i can hardly hear other people and them me.

How is this possible just a roku device not connected to tv or wifi or ethernet just plugged in on standby?

I am also wondering if this line fault BT detected Roku was connected at the time is real or not. I phoned them to report it while roku device was connected Maybe it confused them?
I don't get how a network based device can affect a router even if it is not connected to it in anyway at all just plugged in on standby to an electrical socket reset to factory defaults no wpa2 code not entered no ethernet not even connected to tv?

I have put in for a refund with Amazon.

Oh and to add to the weirdness it makes an old analogue radio in kitchen crackle and go all weird make weird sounds etc.

Edit whenever the Roku device is not turned on or connected to power at all. all my voice line becomes clear no noises hissing crackles.. However my router will refuse to reconnect at all till i turn it off and on at plug.

Blackmesa8

Edited by blackmesa8 (Sun 30-Mar-14 19:54:53)

Standard User MUD_Wizard
(newbie) Sun 30-Mar-14 21:38:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by blackmesa8:
This is crazy. If i plug it in and powered up reset to factory settings (done more tests today) so it is not even connected to router. It still takes my broadband down and landline becomes so bad i can hardly hear other people and them me.

How is this possible just a roku device not connected to tv or wifi or ethernet just plugged in on standby?

Not crazy at all. It's electrical interference:
http://www.fpl.com/customer/solving_electrical_inter...

Probably from a faulty power supply or faulty wiring/component in the device.

<Mutters about the lack of science education these days>

Virgin Media 152/12 161mb/s down 12.1mb/s up.
Wired speed test, Wireless speed test, BQM

Edited by MUD_Wizard (Sun 30-Mar-14 21:40:24)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to