User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(regular) Tue 01-Apr-14 10:22:49
Print Post

ex Be moved to Sky = problems start!

[link to this post]

I'm a Be guy who got the swap over last night to Sky.

While everything went smoothly with the actual router settings changes, and even I noticed the speed was slightly higher than usual. This morning I was woke up with constant ringing on my phones (i.e. 1 ring never stops). It was a tele-marketer. I thought "ok that's odd". Went and had breakfast. Again constant phone ring, again another tele-marketer. I started to think Sky had messed up the connections and boom another constant phone ring, and boom another tele-marketer!

Also looking back at my irc logs it looks like I've been disconnected each time the phone rings.

I'm going to report a fault.

I had flawless service on Be for the many years I was with them. It's actually amazing the difference between a good and bad company, using the same system and setup. The only difference is the people installing/updating the equipment.

Its also knocking me offline too.

Freeserve -> Pipex -> Be

Edited by bowdon (Tue 01-Apr-14 10:33:18)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Apr-14 12:58:16
Print Post

Re: ex Be moved to Sky = problems start!

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Have they changed your phone # by any chance? Have you received calls from peeps you know?

Dial 1470 17070 and check that 'this circuit' is your circuit.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User bowdon
(regular) Tue 01-Apr-14 22:54:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

No I haven't changed my number or anything. Just waited for Sky to take over the Be line, which happened at about 4:30pm on the 31st of March. Since then whenever someone calls the house the phone does one continuous ring and my net connection drops.

I called Sky up and spoke to the first and second line support. We got down to doing some tests and he said he sees the fault and he's sending out an engineer tomorrow, 2nd of April between 1pm to 6pm.

So hopefully the matter will be resolved. I hope its an openreach engineer that comes out then I can pick his brains about a few questions I have about fibre installation.

Freeserve -> Pipex -> Be

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bowdon
(regular) Wed 02-Apr-14 17:20:42
Print Post

An update:

2 BT (maybe openreach?) engineers turned up. One seemed to be training the younger of the 2. When I described the issue they had an idea right away what it was i.e. something to do with some technology in the phone exchange not working properly. They unplugged the phones and connected a handheld machine to the line and it did a constant beeping noise, which I'm assuming is similar to what happens with the phone continuous ring. This confirmed the first thoughts on what happened.

These 2 then said they weren't qualified enough to enter the phone exchange and that they would pass it up to their senior people who can go in and look at it. I asked when this would happen? They said "tomorrow". So I'll see on the 3rd if the phone is back to normal.

This experience as marred and otherwise easy transfer from Be to Sky. I must say that everyone I've spoken to so far as been well mannered and helpful. I just hope this issue gets fixed soon.

Then soon it'll be ready for me to make my jump to fibre, with all that that entails! smile

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky
Standard User bowdon
(regular) Fri 04-Apr-14 09:33:53
Print Post

Update2:

Well the phone ring didnt get corrected yesterday.

I noticed that I only get knocked offline when someone is calling me and the ringer is involved. When I called out I didnt get knocked off.

Well this morning at just gone 7am the phone did its continuous ring. I picked it up thinking someone was calling me and it said this is a BT line check. So I put the phone down. I assume they did another check about 10 minutes after but the ring didnt go on for that long that time so I didnt have time to pick it up.

Now the situation is my phone line is dead. No dial tone... and to top it all off my net speed as dropped to half its usual speed.

I think I read somewhere that this happens when the phone part isnt connected?

This Be to Sky move as been a nightmare. It's more frustrating because its probably an easy issue to sort out in the exchange but there to be a lack of knowledge with these engineers. Apparently they as Sky engineers supposed to be dealing with it.

If this line and speed situation isn't rectified by this afternoon then I'm considering making a complaint. I'm a disabled person and the phone and Internet are my main source of social interaction. This situation is a complete balls-up so far.

Does anyone have any advice on how best to proceed? I currently pay line rental to BT, calls to TalkTalk and now Sky for broadband.

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Apr-14 13:33:09
Print Post

Forget broadband issues and get BT, as you pay them for your line, to sort the voice side of things. Hopefully that will sort out your bb.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Apr-14 13:59:27
Print Post

The issues you are having are with the voice side of things so you need to speak with talktalk or BT. Sky can send out broadband engineers but these guys won't sort out the ringing etc that's going on. This will be what's causing the slow broadband... So this needs fixing.

Once you get the landline fixed the broadband should work fine. You'll have to get sky to re run line training once the lines fixed though as it's likely the line will be fixed at a slower speed due to the fault. Line training will fix that, it's called DLM.

Once the lines back to normal ring sky and ask them to re run DLM. That will take 10 days maximum to get you back to full speeds provided you don't disconnect your router. That's fairly easy.

So for now ring up I think BT and get them to fix the voice side of things. That's their liability. You don't pay sky for the voice side of things. This will need fixing to get the broadband back to normal.

Ringing sky you'll (probably) keep getting engineers who aren't trained to fix the voice side as sky don't provide the voice. Tbh it may be easier to get everything under one roof with one provider eventually as they can then take care of everything.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 04-Apr-14 14:01:21)

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Apr-14 14:04:14
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Great minds think alike, some are just 20 minutes quicker!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User bowdon
(regular) Fri 04-Apr-14 19:48:46
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Thanks guys..

Yea it kinda annoys me that the 2 openreach engineers came to my house and attached their monitor to the test socket and got the constant beeping, which was doing like the phone was doing. They said, "yea,.. its at the exchange". Then they tried to pass it off as sky's problem.

Maybe they got confused or something thinking I had my phone with sky. I pay line rental to bt, voice calls to talktalk and now broadband to sky.

It sounds like those 2 openreach engineers should have gone to the exchange and fixed this.

There is currently an open fault listed on my number on the bt fault line checker. I presume its one sky have opened up for me. Sky said it can take up to 72 hours, and that they

Standard User bowdon
(regular) Sat 05-Apr-14 17:54:39
Print Post

It seems there are quite a few people with similar problems during the Be to Sky migration. Phone cut off and/or net connection down.

There is a hidden area on a forum (not this site) that ex Be people are complaining since going to Sky.

Does anyone know if Sky have their own engineers? Someone said that all the engineers are openreach. But when the 2 openreach engineers arrived at my house when this happened (I think they thought I had my phone service with Sky) they said they saw the fault at the exchange but they couldnt touch Sky's equipment. So they would report it and I had to wait for Sky to send people there.

My big question is why are Sky tampering with my voice phone line?

Also I've noticed I've been charged half the price I was quoted in the Be to Sky transfer letter. I do wonder if they added me on another service during this as that would take the offer price down.

Very odd.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to