User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mathew2
(member) Fri 25-Apr-14 14:37:12
Print Post

Just joined from plus net adsl to sky fibre

[link to this post]

Hi all,
I've just joined sky from plus net. Fttc is brand new for my exchange. Throughput down doesn't seem brilliant on the speed checkers (around 25 mbit down httpx6, 9.x up) but sync looks ok? In use it feels quite a bit faster, guess because the upload isn't so restrictive anymore and ping is a little better.

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 39998 kbps 9999 kbps
Line Attenuation 11.6 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 32.9 dB 34.34 dB

I take it the noise margin being so high is a good thing?
Adsl used to be 21 / 1.2 Mbit so a decent jump esp. The upload.
Bt predict full 80/20 possible but that's a little pricey ATM unless a plus net new customer on a deal..

Adsl was good and would have stuck with that if it wasn't for decent new customer offer, 7.50 for 6 months for the Fttc plus £25 m&s voucher and £80 quidco... Wonder how they make any money out of me who switches every 12 months!

Using my existing Austin Taylor faceplate, billion 7800n as access point and dhcp server and the sky router as a modem on the Ewan port, needed the gbit switch of the 7800n for mede8er use. The 7800n is in the DMz of the sr102.

Cheers.

Edited by mathew2 (Fri 25-Apr-14 14:45:18)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Apr-14 16:19:04
Print Post

Re: Just joined from plus net adsl to sky fibre

[re: mathew2] [link to this post]

Looks like full speed is possible if you pay for it.

The shape of the line for the httpx6 test is a good indicator of whether things are actually flat out, or some variation involved. Hence they graph at the end and the links you can paste.

Plenty of people getting around 36 Meg from a 39999 Kbps sync, so something slowing you down.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mathew2
(member) Fri 25-Apr-14 16:34:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.
Checked again today (25 was earlier in the week on day 1 both here and speed test net) and it's showing flat and around 33.75 now.
Very slight improvement in speed and pings also from disabling all my qos rules on the billion that were necessary to keep some upload free by low prioritising my home server running crash plan, transmission etc.
Not stopped everything running when doing a speed test yet either, could pull out the billion and plug laptop directly into the sky router.

Probably go for 80/20 profile in 12 months when I can join eg plus net on a new customer offer, 80/20 is too expensive on sky and no half price for 6 months.

Edited by mathew2 (Fri 25-Apr-14 16:35:28)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Apr-14 18:14:14
Print Post

Router behind a router might be costing some speed

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mathew2
(member) Fri 25-Apr-14 18:30:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yea, maybe.. Could use the billion as a wap / switch and let the sr102 handle dhcp and other routing duties...

Pity the sky router has poor wireless standards support and only 4 x 100 Mbit switch.

Guess I could sell the billion for a decent amount which would probably pay for a more mainstream brand vdsl router with decent wireless and gigabit.. I'll have to see what's available..

Guess the open reach modem is more likely a "simple" so most on FTC are running a router behind a router.

I could get an open reach modem off eBay to test.

Edited by mathew2 (Fri 25-Apr-14 18:48:34)

Standard User mathew2
(member) Fri 25-Apr-14 19:21:17
Print Post

Not plugged directly into sky router, this is from my Win 7 machine upstairs, not much else going on.on the home network:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Probably won't fart about with routers for now, probably good enough as is.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3461945160.png

Wonder if those getting 36 Mbit results are using the openreach modem instead of the sky sr102?

Edited by mathew2 (Fri 25-Apr-14 19:24:18)

Print Thread

Jump to