User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User michty_me
(regular) Wed 04-Jun-14 22:42:41
Print Post

Slow Connection and disconnections

[link to this post]

Good evening all,
I'm requiring some assistance for my auntie and uncles connection. They are on Sky and have been suffering drop outs for a long period of time. My cousin said it always drops when the phone rings but has recently started dropping more and more.
I pulled up his stats and got the following:

Connection Speed: 2560 Down 605 Up
Line Attenuation: 33.5db 20.3db
Noise Margin: 17.1db 16.16db

Can anyone shine any light on these bits of info. It may not be enough and I would require to go back. I tried going through their house to check all their sockets but it appears they have a good few extensions kicking about so I'll need to wait until I get hold of my uncle to find out exactly how he has it all connected.

According to the BT ADSL checker for their postcode (Sky phone so can't check number) they should be seeing in the range of 4.5-11MB on ADSL2+

Another thing is that their pings are in the 140ms range constantly.

Any help would be brilliant as I have forgotten everything I learnt about broadband fault finding after never needing it for the past 5 years!!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Jun-14 00:00:12
Print Post

Re: Slow Connection and disconnections

[re: michty_me] [link to this post]

Yes, he should be getting about 12.5 Meg on ADSL2+, but this high NM is (partly) holding him back:
In reply to a post by michty_me:
Noise Margin: 17.1db 16.16db
You need to look at the extensions and test from the hidden test socket. Also do a Quiet Line Test.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User michty_me
(regular) Thu 05-Jun-14 00:03:53
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

So would you recommend looking into the wiring and extension sockets first? Sorry just noticed your post. Ill do that!

Edited by michty_me (Thu 05-Jun-14 00:04:30)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Jun-14 00:59:20
Print Post

Test socket 1st to eliminate extensions.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User michty_me
(regular) Thu 05-Jun-14 08:00:16
Print Post

Ok, I'll see if I can look at that tomorrow then. I'll report back with what I find.
Standard User michty_me
(regular) Fri 06-Jun-14 16:32:32
Print Post

Ok, I've just been round and checked the line. I done the quiet line test and it reported some echo on the line but little noise.

I opened what I believe to be the master socket (not 100% sure if it is) and disconnected the bell wires. Going through all the other sockets (4 in total) I found wires connected everywhere. I removed all apart from the ones connected into 2 and 5. I also found a slightly slack connection in the extension going to the socket that the Sky hub is connected to.

I then re-done the line test and it reported no echo and very little noise.

Line stats have not changed at all but after making several calls from my mobile to the landline, I never witnessed one drop out.

As for the master socket, I believe it is the master due to the thickness of the cable entering the socket box. Quite a chunky grey one and I think it had an armored sheath possibly if I remember right.
I've asked my Uncle to call sky to see if they can run a few quick tests and possibly try a DLM reset but I'm not sure if Sky will allow this.

Oh and it appears the pings have gone done from 140ms to approx 35ms. I'm not sure if this is coincidence or not.
Standard User michty_me
(regular) Fri 06-Jun-14 18:04:46
Print Post

I've just spoken to my cousin who gave me a better idea of what is going on.
He said that with the old router it disconnected every time the phone rang. Now with the Sky hub it just gives random disconnections.
I'm unsure with which way to go with this issue now as I'm unsure if it is a wiring issue (Hopefully not after the checks I done), A router issue or an exchange issue.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Fri 06-Jun-14 19:09:12
Print Post

Is a DECT cordless type phone being used or, corded standard phone. If former try double filtering. Broadband from 1st filter, phone attached to second filter.
Standard User michty_me
(regular) Fri 06-Jun-14 23:06:54
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flippery:
Is a DECT cordless type phone being used or, corded standard phone. If former try double filtering. Broadband from 1st filter, phone attached to second filter.

Correct. A who group of DECT phones are connected. I could try that. I'll see what happens over the weekend and see if my uncle actually bothered calling them.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-Jun-14 09:08:11
Print Post

Set of stats after wiring changes and a reboot will help.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to