User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User markolexus
(learned) Sun 22-Jun-14 09:37:31
Print Post

O2 and BT to Sky Fibre: Could it be any more difficult?

[link to this post]

I was on BT phone and O2 broadband when it was taken over by Sky. Here's what's happened.

1) O2 Broadband goes down. Turns out Sky have moved us onto new service, without informing us. We needed new settings for the router. Service is back after a few days. Agree a new contract to run from February 2014 for half price Fibre Unlimited. This entails switching BT Landline to Sky Talk. I am told I don't need to do anything. New broadband is excellent.

2) Phone goes down. Openreach come and fix some sort of problem in the switching over to Sky. Phone back on after a few days.

3) I start questioning the bills in May. The new service is quite expensive, much more than I thought it would be. There is a mysterious "supplement for not having Sky TV" which wasn't mentioned when I agreed the price. Also there has been no final bill from BT - they are continuing to charge me for line rental, free evening and weekend calls and call monitoring.

Sky say there has been a number of errors. The 12 month half price offer was not applied in my case. I was paying the full rate, and the supplement for not having Sky TV should not have been applied either. They will refund the overcharging. But I have to contact BT - Sky have fulfilled their side of switch over - and it is now down to me to resolve this issue. I did point out that at the beginning I was informed I would not have to do anything. Turns out that was wrong. I do now.

Sky say my contract will now run from now - June. I say but we are five months into a new 12 month contract which was started in February. Woman talks to her manager and agrees the contract runs until February 2015 as agreed originally.

4) I contact BT - who surprisingly quickly do agree that the problem with double charging was down to them. They apologise and I get sent a bill which shows £80 credit which will be returned to me. All sorted?

5) A few days after contacting BT - the landline has no dial tone. Openreach is called out. Engineer confirms that the phone has been disconnected outside the house. BT have cut me off!

6) I get a letter from Sky confirming that my contract for broadband and Sky Talk will run until June 2015!

7) Landline is now very noisy. This is apparently fixed after several calls to Sky - where each time they put me on hold and then the line cut off.

It's difficult to see what I could have done differently to prevent all this. Surely switching suppliers shouldn't be this difficult?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Jun-14 12:12:40
Print Post

Re: O2 and BT to Sky Fibre: Could it be any more difficult?

[re: markolexus] [link to this post]

Had Sky done everything, somewhere around Step 2 you should have received a letter from BT saying sorry to see you are leaving them, are you sure you want to? - the anti-slamming letter.

As it is, it seems that your landline was not moved to Sky until Step 5 and therefore you were running on Sky Partial LLU, just like other O2 migrants who did not transfer their landlines, until then.

Hence Sky does not consider you on their new Full LLU (albeit Fibre) contract till June.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User markolexus
(learned) Mon 23-Jun-14 09:53:58
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Oh I see XRaySpeX, thanks.
But two things:
1) My landline may not have been technically moved to Sky until June, but I have been paying Sky for my phone calls since February. (BT did not charge me call costs during this period).
2) A contract is an agreement. We agreed a year's contract period in February. One party cannot unilaterally decide to alter or nullify that contract without the agreement of the other.

I didn't get the anti-slamming letter from BT. In fact I got a letter saying "Thanks for being with us". I suppose that could be termed the slamming letter.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Jun-14 10:21:16
Print Post

If you dial 17070, do you get a recorded message saying "Hi, I'm Zoe"?

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Mon 23-Jun-14 10:22:10)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Jun-14 11:32:26
Print Post

On (1) Sky can do what is called Carrier Pre Selection, where you pay BT line rental, but calls are billed via Sky. Uses BT hardware but calls get routed via Sky.

It looks like someone somewhere messed up and did not sent out the right to cancel letter which has a ten day window for you to reply and say you did not authorise the move. This should be an automatic thing once Sky submit any order that takes over the voice line rental.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Jun-14 11:35:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
On (1) Sky can do what is called Carrier Pre Selection, where you pay BT line rental, but calls are billed via Sky. Uses BT hardware but calls get routed via Sky.

Sky used to offer that, but I don't think they've offered that service for several years now.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Mon 23-Jun-14 11:36:42)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Jun-14 11:43:49
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

For new sales correct, just like for new sales they don't offer broadband without line rental (i.e. full LLU) but still got around 20% of customers on SMPF

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Jun-14 11:49:33
Print Post

For new sales correct, just like for new sales they don't offer broadband without line rental (i.e. full LLU) but still got around 20% of customers on SMPF

As I understand it the OP migrated to Sky this year so I think it's very unlikely CPS is involved here.

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Jun-14 12:14:53
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Given it was an O2 move Sky has done all many of unusual things that they do not offer in their main product listings.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Jun-14 12:41:05
Print Post

Given it was an O2 move Sky has done all many of unusual things that they do not offer in their main product listings.

I haven't heard of anyone moving from O2/BE getting CPS. The option was either Sky line rental + calls + broadband, or Sky broadband with no phone at all.

OP appears to have been migrated to Sky landline in February and incorrectly billed by BT after migration, as indicated by the £80 refund.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Mon 23-Jun-14 12:42:27)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to