User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ainsley001
(regular) Thu 03-Jul-14 08:05:06
Print Post

Sky Fibre Hub plus Router

[link to this post]

I know its complicated to switch out the Sky Hub for my own router (with an Openreach box) on fibre, but can I just switch off the wireless on the sky Hub and use my own router purely as a wireless router, connected by Ethernet and with DHCP turned off?

Having switched to Sky Fibre a couple of weeks ago the up and own syncs are great (much better than what I was getting on Plusnet) but the wireless range of the Sky Hub definitely isn't so good and its single band, of course.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Jul-14 08:19:29
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre Hub plus Router

[re: ainsley001] [link to this post]

Yes but best to use a router in wireless access point mode or buy just a wireless access point

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ainsley001
(regular) Thu 03-Jul-14 17:34:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that - it has a AP mode so I'll use that. Its an Asus Ac66U - do you happen to know if it's likely to retain its dual band capability in WAP mode? I can't find any reference to this , even in the manual!

Also the interface suggests that in AP mode it "extends" the wireless network of the original router - I was hoping to "replace" the wireless network - is this a different issue and/or needs a different set up?

Edited by ainsley001 (Thu 03-Jul-14 17:38:14)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Jul-14 17:56:39
Print Post

On the Asus I can say yes the dual mode remains in AP mode, since have used an RT-N66U extensively

In AP mode it takes TCP/IP traffic over Ethernet, NOTHING to do with the wireless mode of the original router. There are wireless extender (WDS) modes that may do this, but avoid those usually.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Jul-14 21:08:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by ainsley001:
Thanks for that - it has a AP mode so I'll use that. Its an Asus Ac66U - do you happen to know if it's likely to retain its dual band capability in WAP mode? I can't find any reference to this , even in the manual!

Also the interface suggests that in AP mode it "extends" the wireless network of the original router - I was hoping to "replace" the wireless network - is this a different issue and/or needs a different set up?

I have an RT-AC68U and it has four options in the operation mode screen, you want "Access Point" mode which connects to the Sky router using an ethernet cable. You DON'T want the 'repeater' mode which connects to another wireless router using wifi.

In AP mode the AC68U will be fully performing, all the dual band WiFi and AC support and all the media features, you won't get the VPN features and some of the AiCloud stuff might not work.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Standard User ainsley001
(regular) Thu 03-Jul-14 22:44:39
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks. So I just turn off wifi on the sky Hub?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Jul-14 22:55:08
Print Post

Yeap

Print Thread

Jump to