User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Thu 17-Jul-14 20:30:45
Print Post

Fibre and contention

[link to this post]

Is fibre contended the same was as ADSL? I remember years ago, there was a contention figure of 50:1 on residential lines. I accept that as more people sign up to a system, the potential for slow down increases. My Sky fibre until recently is always syncing at 39996. The line is still synced the same but during the evening, throughput drops from 32MB (wireless) to down to 14MB. During the day, speeds are as they have always been. This has happened over the last month, I would have expected a gradual reduction.

Will try to get hold of a LAN cable to test the connection wired.

My stats are:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
WAN WANoE 13759507 18932939 0 2096 1083 555:33:58
LAN Up 12165406 8987943 0 1331 1120 555:34:24
WLAN Up 13497549 8825495 10 0 5738 555:33:53
Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 40000 kbps 9996 kbps

(sorry about the formatting)

Mark

http://www.holidayalmeria.co.uk - Holiday apartment website
http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Jul-14 21:04:57
Print Post

Re: Fibre and contention

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

there is always some form of sharing. I assume this is related to the line from the exchange to the core sky network. What exchange are you on?

In my case I am not getting any drop in speed (that I can detect) unless daughter is on youtube.com and I run a speedtester at the same time.

IanD
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Thu 17-Jul-14 21:10:50
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

I have found it must be local interference somewhere as running a wired test has given me 35mb while another wireless was 14mb!! I am only sat about 10 feet away from the router, so signal strength isn't a problem.

Just wondering why my wireless signal would be so bad in the evening? Weird...

http://www.holidayalmeria.co.uk - Holiday apartment website
http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 18-Jul-14 21:29:43
Print Post

it is contended but its dynamic, now days isp's dont stick to a fixed contention ratio as customers needs keep changing. Sky seem to authorise upgrades if visible congestion occurs which is basically a sufficient policy.

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 18-Jul-14 21:37:02)

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Sat 19-Jul-14 10:47:26
Print Post

I would suspect that in the evenings, your household and your near neighbours, having returned from work, are using WiFi more intensively than during the day; and also are more likely to be using other non-WiFi items that share the same 2.4 GHz "Unlicensed" Radio Band, such as microwave cookers.

Keep in mind that WiFi snooping programs such as inSSIDer only show you the WiFi streams that it can decipher; but do NOT show interference from other 2.4 GHz Band non-WiFi, although that interference does affect the WiFi signals.

Think of yourself having a quiet conversation in English in a quiet pub, with another person, in the afternoon. No problems.

That evening, you and your companion return to the pub; and a large noisy group has arrived. Some are speaking English, whilst others are speaking in other languages.

You can no longer hold a quiet conversation; and it is with difficulty that you occasionally manage to exchange a word or sentence with your companion, hence slowing down the transfer of information.

Then a noisy motorbike starts up outside ...
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Jul-14 14:27:48
Print Post

Best thing to do is to change the wireless channel, trying only 1, 6 and 11.

Open a new browser window and visit http://192.168.0.1
When prompted enter the username: admin and password: sky (in lowercase).
If you have a white router select Wireless Settings from the left hand menu.
If you have a Black or Charcoal router then it's the Setup tab in the black navigation bar you need to select.
This will bring you to the Wireless Settings page where we can adjust the wireless signal.
You'll see the Wireless Channel option with a dropdown menu, simply change this option to either 1, 6 or 11. Don't use 2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10,12 or 13. They overlap the frequencies.
Once you've changed the wireless channel number, scroll down and click the Apply button to save the settings.

I'm sure one of them will deliver better speeds as it's likely the routers just using the same channel as a nearby neighbour whos using the connection extensively e.g. they could have something on same channel such as a doorbell, a cordless phone, a bluetooth keyboard, another wifi router, a baby monitor etc. The list is endless.
Standard User binary
(member) Sun 20-Jul-14 09:45:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by Discus:
I have found it must be local interference somewhere as running a wired test has given me 35mb while another wireless was 14mb!! I am only sat about 10 feet away from the router, so signal strength isn't a problem.

Just wondering why my wireless signal would be so bad in the evening? Weird...

Like eckiedoo has said in their reply, other people near you are using wifi in the evening - it's as simple as that.
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Sun 20-Jul-14 12:28:07
Print Post

Whilst UKHardy07 is correct to suggest that you try each of those three Channels, 1,6 &11, in turn, I would add that if your Router allows you to do so, try it on "AUTO" Channel Selection as well.

On AUTO, the Router will switch the Channel in use, to whichever it finds "quietest", whether the "noise" is from other WiFi sources or from other devices such as microwave cookers.

Your WiFi devices can track such AUTO changes normally - I certainly have no obvious problems working that way.

-----------------

Interestingly with the EE Bright Box 2 also having the other WiFi Band available at 5 GHz, although inSSIDer can not detect other near-by WiFi devices in that band, it tends to AUTO-switch in the range of Channels 36 to 48.

My lady-wife's Laptop is the only PC etc accessible by me, that has the 5 GHz band available; and defaults to using that higher band, although the lower band is also available to it, yet the 5 GHz Band signal is generally 10 dbs lower/weaker than the 2.4 GHz Band.

I can only presume that the Channel Switching over that range of 36 to 48, is caused by non-WiFi "noise" sources, one possibility being harmonics radiated by microwave cookers - BUT no proof!

Keep in mind that all WiFi devices are very limited in the amount of RF power that they can transmit, both physically and legally, so by definition, noise from other sources can readily swamp them, just like the noisy motor-bike.

A microwave cooker is between 500 Watts and 1,000 Watts.

A WiFi device is down around 10 milli-Watts, so between 1/50,000th and 1/100,000 of that level, both to restrict its range and likelihood of interfering with others; and also to minimise power consumption in battery-powered PCs, iPads etc.

A mobile phone typically radiates more power; and being in the 800 MHz range, their third harmonics at 2,400 MHz (2.4 GHz) could readily be a source of interference as well.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Jul-14 13:02:49
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
A microwave cooker is between 500 Watts and 1,000 Watts.

But most, if not all of that radiation will be contained inside the oven, otherwise people standing near the microwave will be cooked along with the food!

Oliver.
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Sun 20-Jul-14 14:07:08
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Agreed fully, Oliver.

But leakage at a level below endangering humans, animals etc, could readily interfere with WiFi.

To quote yourself-
"
most, if not all of that radiation will be contained inside the oven,
"

At least with microwave cookers, they are in a containment system to minimise those risks, where-as mobile/cell phones are specifically designed to radiate similar, lower frequency RF; and note the complaints when the user discovers that he/she is out of range.

And how well do folks (know to) clean the RF sealing area of such cookers?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to