User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sweepdog
(committed) Sun 10-Aug-14 19:27:16
Print Post

Ex O2 customer - using their old box?

[link to this post]

i've had a netgear DG834GT for years now, and even when I went over to O2 LLU, I continued to use it. I probably only ever plugged the O2 router in twice over a couple of years when I had to call them about slow speeds. The wired connection is perfectly fine. - Ping 26ms, 6.86mbps down, 0.81mbps up

The trouble is the antenna on my Netgear has now become flaky, so I was going to try plugging the O2 one in, but it doesn't even connect to the internet I don't think (internet and broadband lights both green, even with and without a cable though?) and I can't even get my PC to recognise the router as the gateway like my netgear does.

Is this expected that this model of O2 box should work (O2 wireless Box II - unsure of manufacturer date, but dispatched in March 2008). I have tried a safety pin in the reset hole too and this made no difference. I've read on some of the other threads (about dropout connections) that the O2 was more reliable than the black boxes Sky send out, but it may be down to mine being an early version?

I would probably make an effort to ring them up, but I see that the wireless key is only WEP (64 bit) encrytion. I presume this is still regarded as unsecured these days, and I should probably be better off just getting my own router?

--
Sky DOWN: 6.9MB UP: 0.65MB
Ex O2 Premium Customer DOWN: 7.5MB UP: 0.65MB
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Aug-14 20:29:47
Print Post

Re: Ex O2 customer - using their old box?

[re: sweepdog] [link to this post]

Factory reset should work. Make sure your PC's IP is in the 192.168.1.xxx range or set to DHCP.

The other option is to try BE firmware on it.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/vkupqm

(I put it on file hosting since the BE firmware download page is dead).

Firmware upgrade tool here: http://www.beusergroup.co.uk/downloads/TGUPGv7201.zip

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sun 10-Aug-14 20:55:57)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Aug-14 22:01:35
Print Post

Isn't there a problem that you can't set BB username & password in the O2 Box?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Aug-14 22:18:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Isn't there a problem that you can't set BB username & password in the O2 Box?

Sky have enabled the old O2 WBC PPPoA login on their PPPoA servers so the O2 boxes should log in to the Sky network just fine after factory reset.

Oliver.
Standard User sweepdog
(committed) Sun 10-Aug-14 23:02:29
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

OK I will try both of these - My netgear was always acting as a DHCP server (as I like to allocate the MAC addresses their own IP for everything on my network), so I think that should be happening now (i.e. my PC should be looking for the O2 box to be that server also??)

Even if the internet was down, I should be able to connect to the router shouldn't I (when I do IPCONFIG), but I am not even getting that far

Will try both of these tomorrow, thanks

--

Edited by sweepdog (Sun 10-Aug-14 23:04:18)

Standard User sweepdog
(committed) Sun 10-Aug-14 23:38:54
Print Post

I got itchy feet

Some known issue with Windows 7 not getting IP from some kind of kit, and you have to change a registry setting - no such luck

And that was the other difference - last time I used that router I was on XP
I upgraded to Win 7 last year

Night for now

--
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Aug-14 00:38:06
Print Post

The O2 WB definitely has the DHCP server enabled following a factory reset, so there should be no issues with a DHCP client (e.g. Windows 7) getting a LAN IP address from it. The default DHCP IP pool range is something like 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253, with the O2 WB sitting on 192.168.1.254 .

Oliver.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Aug-14 06:33:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by sweepdog:
Even if the internet was down, I should be able to connect to the router shouldn't I (when I do IPCONFIG), but I am not even getting that far
Not always. I've owned a couple of routers that were pretty much dead to world apart from their admin page if the WAN was down.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User sweepdog
(committed) Mon 11-Aug-14 19:57:30
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by sweepdog:
Not always. I've owned a couple of routers that were pretty much dead to world apart from their admin page if the WAN was down.
Yeah that's what I mean Andrue - like with my netgear I can see if the ADSL is connecting or not on a wired connection

I will fiddle with the registry settings again (I even rebooted my PC too), but I will probably just do out and buy a "decent" one instead

PS Found this page which was more helpful - both IPv4 and IPv6 set to "get automaticall"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/change-tc...

--

Edited by sweepdog (Mon 11-Aug-14 20:04:10)

Standard User sweepdog
(committed) Wed 13-Aug-14 18:05:11
Print Post

I've decided to "solve" the problem my requesting my MAC code, and I'm hopefully going to jump ship to BT Infinity

--
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to