User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User batfastad
(newbie) Fri 15-Aug-14 00:32:07
Print Post

Sky Unlim Pro. Crazy packet loss 14/08/14 NDTWE

[link to this post]

Hi everyone

A former Be customer of several years, finally migrated to Sky. I've not had too many problems, as we're right on the end of the line anyway so speeds have always hovered around 5Mb. Though there was an unexpected jump in latency from ~20ms with Be to ~50ms with Sky.

Today at about 12pm I suddenly started seeing insane packet loss...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Jjnxwtx3O4VzNpQnZ...

Normally I'd only expect to see that if it was hitting shaping/policing but the connection's basically idle.

Just wondered if anyone else had seen this today?

Cheers, B
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Aug-14 17:38:52
Print Post

Re: Sky Unlim Pro. Crazy packet loss 14/08/14 NDTWE

[re: batfastad] [link to this post]

Did you try a router reboot?

Oliver.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Aug-14 18:20:34
Print Post

Latency increase is likely to be Sky applying a higher level of interleaving. This is just to correct for errors on the line. Using a higher level of interleaving will mean the line will drop out less / be more stable. Sky do often focus on stability more than anything else. Are your speeds slightly higher with Sky or slightly worse? Or about same?

Packet loss - I would reboot the router see if that helps. Are you sure something isn't uploading / downloading a lot in the background? Is it affecting the browsing experience? If not, I wouldn't overly worry as it'll likely go away.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User batfastad
(newbie) Sat 16-Aug-14 08:44:39
Print Post

It looks like this was just a temporary issue. Latency dropped back down from 50ms to its "normal" 40ms but the extreme packet loss was over by about 4am on Friday morning.

The site is vacant so I don't have physical access and the connection was not in use. I needed to access some servers that were still active through the VPN but the tunnels were down. Fortunately that connection will be gone in a few weeks.

I've never had an internet connection that's been so inconsistent, with random high latency spikes and packet loss as I've noticed since this migrated to Sky 8 weeks ago. 5 years with Be, faster speeds, lower latency and absolutely rock-solid.

Thanks for the info though!

Cheers, B
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Aug-14 09:12:45
Print Post

I've found Sky to be more reliable than Be/O2 was.

It seems there is not a middle ground with Sky, it's really good or rubbish. Unless Sky connect then it is always rubbish.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2
  Print Thread

Jump to