User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User crunchyf123
(newbie) Tue 19-Aug-14 18:23:53
Print Post

sky terms and condition changes august 2014

[link to this post]

so i was a BE user with a bt phone line
i got a great deal to pay £12 a month for phone and broadband but 12 month contract
seeing as i was paying more than £30 a month with BE and BT it was a no brainer
as i always intended to switch to a fiber connection at a later date and made a mistake thinking sky covered my area ..... stupid mistake on my part as i was using the wrong post code checking deals for a friend.

so today i receive a letter from sky saying my terms and conditions have changed
this is part of the "notices" section.
does the law allow me to cancel my contract because of this change ? ... i got out of an old AOL contract due to changes but that was many years ago, incidentally it was when i switched to BE best move Ive ever made !

Ive looked on citizens advice about t&c changes and it only mentions price increases
as a get out clause ... anyone know if the old rules still apply or am i stuck with sky
until my contract runs out next year ?
ive been with them for about 4 months i think but the speed is 4mb slower than i used to get with BE and i really need fiber for uploading videos to youtube .... im sick of having to wait 5 hr's to upload a 2gb file.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Aug-14 22:28:49
Print Post

Re: sky terms and condition changes august 2014

[re: crunchyf123] [link to this post]

The change is what?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Aug-14 23:24:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If the changes cause you material disadvantage you can leave within the 'changes' notice period.

But Sky would have said that in the email if they would, so they probably don't.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 19-Aug-14 23:27:22)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rscott
(member) Wed 20-Aug-14 11:36:22
Print Post

If BT can offer you fibre, then Sky would be able to as well. Why not just upgrade to fibre with them?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Aug-14 11:54:13
Print Post

[re: rscott] [link to this post]

Sky may not have full LLU at the exchange the phone goes to, and thus not want to offer the service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User IanBB
(member) Wed 20-Aug-14 13:05:40
Print Post

The only change seems to be the way you contact Sky to end your contract so no get-out I'm afraid.

ETA image of change to terms

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ry1w85.jpg

Edited by IanBB (Wed 20-Aug-14 13:18:44)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Aug-14 13:20:39
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Had the same letter, but was just wanting to check.

I don't see anyway that the change can be viewed as detrimental to the end-user, which is the test that is applied.

Standard User IanBB
(member) Wed 20-Aug-14 13:24:47
Print Post

Pretty certain it is as the op states "this is part of the "notices" section.
Standard User crunchyf123
(newbie) Thu 21-Aug-14 03:43:48
Print Post

thanks for the replies, i came to the same conclusion after talking to my friend who is a lawyer, oh well stuck with sky until next year then ..... im in brighton and use the hove exchange ........ doh ! seems sky fiber is now available ..... there was only virgin and plusnet available 2 days ago. seemed a bit odd that the choice was so limited.
but i still dont like the sky prices or speed offered at a quick glance, need to compare deals now, may have to wait regardless.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Aug-14 14:34:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by crunchyf123:
seemed a bit odd that the choice was so limited.
You have TT Fibre there as well, as well as myriad BTw-based ISPs.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to