User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lowe88
(newbie) Mon 13-Oct-14 20:47:37
Print Post

SKY Fibre well below estimate.

[link to this post]

I was estimated between 19-27 (clean) or 10-21 (impacted). I'm getting 15mb/2mb and I'm pretty disappointed to be honest.

Line stats http://i.imgur.com/jigyed3.png

I'm hoping there is something wrong with my line and maybe they'll fix it? Otherwise I guess I'm stuck paying a lot for a substandard product?
Standard User Computerman142
(member) Mon 13-Oct-14 22:09:21
Print Post

Re: SKY Fibre well below estimate.

[re: lowe88] [link to this post]

Hi,

My friend has a similar issue he is on Sky fibre and gets 15mb/4mb, he is on the same telephone pole as me and I have fibre too but have better speeds than him. When he first got it, his speeds were around 25mb/5mb but are now stuck at 15mb/3-4mb and wont go any higher no matter what we do try and make it better (he dosent want to ring Sky he cant be bothered with the faf) anyway me and him are estimated 79mb/20mb but this is an error in the database. We have come down to fact that is line is made out of 2 different types of wires so that may the issue.

It could be due to crosstalk causing this which if it is there isn't much you can do unless vectoring comes along, but as you are a long distance from your fibre cabinet this is be expected. You could also have a line fault but what the stats you linked show, is that you just have a long line 1200 -1300 meters I would say and that's the main issue and that it could be crosstalk also plus BT estimates are not always right.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2859828308
My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

MYSEL Cabinet 6

TalkTalk 40/2 FTTC estimated 40/2 - Currently getting 25Mbps/2Mbps on an interleaved FTTC line, was 26.5Mbps.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Oct-14 23:20:07
Print Post

Self install with mikrofilters and Sky Hub (no openreach modem)? Then it is well within the predicted speed "10-21 (impacted)".

You might get a little more out of it is there is some extension wire that can be disconnected by installing a VDSL faceplate on the master socket and connecting the Sky Hub directly to that.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lowe88
(newbie) Tue 14-Oct-14 10:57:54
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

I won't benefit from a VDSL placeplate if it's already connected to the test socket anyway, will I? (pic http://i.imgur.com/TcJTTay.jpg )

Socket was like that when I moved in.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Oct-14 12:06:36
Print Post

No you wouldn't frown

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 14-Oct-14 12:19:31
Print Post

Do you have any working extension sockets?

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User lowe88
(learned) Tue 14-Oct-14 12:26:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I don't believe so.

I asked my neighbour and he's getting 25mb and the lady across the street is getting 35mb. Guess I'm just unlucky to have moved in this particular house lol.
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Oct-14 14:12:18
Print Post

Your line attenuation is the same as mine, but I'm still on ADSL, so that's the length all the way back to the exchange for me. Your cabinet must be quite a long way away.

Your SNRM shows that the lines doing the best it can, so no fault that I can see.

Just unlucky, unless FTTPoD is in your area, and you can afford it!

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Oct-14 14:15:15
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

I don't think you are, but just to emphasis attenuation on VDSL2 is measured at a different frequency, so a direct comparison is not possible.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Oct-14 14:20:01
Print Post

Attenuation suggests you are around 1.4 to 1.5km from cabinet.

I manage 20514 Kbps with 26.5dB attenuation at 1.35km. If the issue was noise and cross talk you would expect the attenuation to be lower but still be getting poor speeds.

Suggestion is that your line may have more joints, or go a slightly different route, or alternatively if you are actually very close to your cabinet (and remember you cabinet may not be the one physically closest) you may be on aluminium for part of the run to the cabinet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to