User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User telfire
(regular) Fri 17-Oct-14 14:34:11
Print Post

Router

[link to this post]

Help, will my BE Technicolour router work with Sky Broadband? My Sky router is defective and Sky want £70 for replacement.

Many thanks in anticipation
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Oct-14 15:48:21
Print Post

Re: Router

[re: telfire] [link to this post]

If the Sky box died of its own accord and not through your own fault e.g. dog ate it then if it was me I would be saying to Sky your router is locked down and I cannot get other devices to work since you don't provide the username and password, so the only way to use the service is to use your router, thus forcing me to pay for a replacement is unfair.

Cannot recall if people had the old Be routers working during the switch over phase, but if past that and on Sky full LLU proper the answer may be different now.

Plenty of replacement Sky hubs going on ebay for £10 to £15 which if hard negotiation is not your thing may be an easy and cheaper way out.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Fri 17-Oct-14 16:20:28
Print Post

Phone Sky and ask them for a MAC. When they ask you why, say you can get a free router moving to some other ISP. A new one will be in the post asap.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IanBB
(member) Fri 17-Oct-14 17:09:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by telfire:
Help, will my BE Technicolour router work with Sky Broadband? My Sky router is defective and Sky want £70 for replacement.

Many thanks in anticipation

Why not try it and see? (you may need to wait up to 30 minutes to get an IP address due to the MAC address change)

I'm still using my O2 Technicolor router on Sky..
Standard User fireants
(member) Fri 17-Oct-14 20:23:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Lightning fried my O2 box IV so I plugged in a spare box V (technicolor) and it worked straight away.Simple!
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Sat 18-Oct-14 18:53:55
Print Post

When my Sky supplied router broke an they wanted me to pay for a new one, I just told them if I was going to have to pay that much I would buy myself a decent router, which I did.

I haven't used a Sky router for over 4 years now.
Standard User telfire
(regular) Sun 19-Oct-14 14:54:25
Print Post

Many thanks for the replies.
I should have expanded my query. It was for a neighbour I was enquiring. I was with BE then Sky took over and I wasn't happy so moved to Plus Net FTTC which left me with a new unused BE router.
My neighbour tried the 'I am not paying that price, will move to another provider' routine to which the reply from Sky was OK give us 24 hours notice for your MAC.
As it turned out there was a major outage in Greater Manchester and Merseyside but Sky Tech Support never even mentioned it but tried to sell a new router so my neighbour now has decide to move to Plus Net FTTC, no surprise there with the poor customer support.
Standard User whatever
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Oct-14 23:53:52
Print Post

We're not on full LLU, we still have a BT line, but our technicolor router from BE works just fine. We had to do some hoop jumps with the fixed ip thing, but it's solid.

We did have a line issue, which Sky blamed on our router, and they sent us one FOC. It's in the cupboard somewhere.
  Print Thread

Jump to