User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deiwise
(committed) Sat 18-Oct-14 23:59:29
Print Post

Moving house - self-install?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm with Sky (have had their DSL and fibre products for 5 years and am one of the few who have had faultless service!). Moving house in 3 weeks and have ordered fibre again. Is it possible to know whether it will be a self-install? Their order page says "An engineer appointment has been arranged for 10/11/2014
The engineer should arrive at your new home between 8am and 6pm". Is this consistent with a self-install, and just an error with their order tracking? Am not going to be in, so I just hope the engineer appt is for the cabinet/exchange and not the house.

Secondly, will the username/password change? I currently use an Asus RT-N66U with the white BT modem and would like to continue; will I need to re-hack the user/pass/mac address of the new router that they're sending me?

Many thanks

Will
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 19-Oct-14 09:41:04
Print Post

Re: Moving house - self-install?

[re: deiwise] [link to this post]

Think username will be fine.

On engineer may also be to activate and test the phone line.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User deiwise
(committed) Sun 19-Oct-14 13:20:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

OK. Thanks Andrew.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User deiwise
(committed) Mon 03-Nov-14 10:46:04
Print Post

Andrew. A penny for your thoughts.

I've just tried calling the new phone number allocated to me and it's now working (it rings, at least). I know there's a phone socket in the new home, so, does this suggest that an engineer won't need to visit our home and we can do a self-install with the equipment they send? Or do BT still have to turn up and install a Fibre faceplate?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Nov-14 13:33:57
Print Post

You mean you can stand in the house and hear a phone ringing when you call it?

Or when at another location you call it and hear a ring? In which case if you are not paying line rental you could be ringing someone else. When a line is stopped the numbers can be reallocated and the new owner of a property given a new number sometimes.

If you can pick up the handset in the home and get a dial tone then generally no need for an engineer to visit the home.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User deiwise
(committed) Mon 03-Nov-14 13:37:42
Print Post

Good point. I meant that I called from afar, and it rang. I don't know if it "rang" at the property as I'm not there yet. But, last week, phoning the number resulted in a dead line - it didn't ring at all - so the number must be new(ish)...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Nov-14 21:43:47
Print Post

Might be a good sign cannot say more until someone is in the property to confirm things

Standard User epyon
(experienced) Tue 04-Nov-14 19:43:43
Print Post

i just order sky fibre again and its a self install for me also

should happen friday.

BT ADSL2+

Edited by epyon (Tue 04-Nov-14 19:45:28)

Standard User Fibre
(experienced) Tue 04-Nov-14 22:52:42
Print Post

You probably wont get an Engineer visit, as my sister just moved inot a new house, about a month or so ago now, which already had a phone line in that was disconnected, and she never had an Engineer visit (she signed up with Sky for the line and the BB).

Her phone line just activated a few days after she'd ordered it, and then when her router came through the post, she just connected that up, and she was online.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Standard User deiwise
(committed) Tue 04-Nov-14 23:24:21
Print Post

[re: Fibre] [link to this post]

Thanks. Looks like I won't then. Sky insist one has been booked, so perhaps the house's master socket is providing errors that BT Openreach can detect need fixing. Who knows!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to